X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe don't scrap that CRT TV you just picked up...

Hey guys,
    A friend of mine who is into retro gaming tells me that there's a real surge in interest in old crt TVs with SCART connectors! A quick search on ebay shows that they are selling very well!
    Best not scrap them!!

I've got a massive Sony Trinitron 68cm set here, that sort of set, with or without SCART would be popular due to better picture quality.

Downside is it's weight, Ben was complaining about picking up big TVs, this beast is 47Kg.

Comment

Yeah some of the buggers almost need a forklift! Apparently it's something to do with lag time and some retro games are impossible to play on more modern tellys!
      It's kind of funny that most retro gaming nerds I know are weedy little guys who'd be lucky to be able to pick up a small LCD TV, let alone a big CRT unit!

Comment

I had an old TV from the 70s I picked up. Wooden frame etc. Sold it to a guy for $30 because he wanted to make an art wall out of old TVs. Better than scrap value. I was going to turn it in to a spirits cabinet but was unsure how to dispose of everything. Quite happy with that. Pickup was 200m from my house.

Comment

Nice Scotty - yeah, it's always worth considering a market for vintage stuff rather than spending time scrapping it for a couple of bucks!

Comment

Living in a rural area like I do, the transport costs for selling things, like TV's is too much. And whilst I wouldn't mind, I'm really too far away for people to call in and pick up. But the old CRT's are worth scrapping particularly if you go after the electronic scrap. Disposal of the tubes is a pain, but we can drop them at a dump up here because they are unattended.
            OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
            http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

One of the advantages of living remotely! I grew up in a farming town in the Wimmera and the local dump was a big hole where you could fossick all day and bring home more than you took out! I can remember throwing bricks at pictures tubes just to watch them explode!
              Those were the days!
              Just keep an eye out for the tvs with SCART connectors - they are well worth freighting!

Comment

Actually, our dumps have all been converted to transfer stations from landfill. But as I said they are not manned. Household rubbish goes in the bin but all metals go in a separate pile so never know what you will find. Couple of weeks back I picked up half a dozen computers and various other electronics. Still all had RAM sticks and CPU's as well as hard drives etc. Brought home a satellite dish the other day and the control box, apart from being cast ally, contains a very interesting computer board. One side is covered in Tantalum capacitors as well as quick a bit of gold plating. The reverse side is totally covered in gold plate. Not sure how many microns but being communications gear it would be thicker than most. Strange part about this dish was it is made out of fibreglass. I've got one on my roof which I must take down, and the dish is metal of some sort. But again it will have one or two boards covered in gold and all sorts of goodies.

I actually like scraping electronics. Probably got near $10k of gold to be refined when I get around to it. I have to expand my work shed so I have better facilities to do it. Very dangerous occupation so you need to be properly set up.

Cheers
                Bill
                OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

Nice pickups Bill - especially the satellite dish! I do agree with scrapping electronics stuff, especially with items that are uncommon or you haven't seen before. It's almost like opening a present as a kid - you never quite know what you are going to find..
                  So you are going to delve into the precious metal recovery at some stage? I have the thought that I'll do that down the track, but way too busy with life at the moment!
                  I'm 54 by the way - and run an antiques/secondhand shop, as well as renovating a house and as other hobbies, play table tennis (play most Victorian tournaments and play at the nationals each year)... and my partner & I teach rock'n'roll dancing. So yeah - not so much time to dabble in the shed!

Comment

Yeah you always gotta keep the eyes open. We don't have a rubbish collection so have to go to the dump and dispose ourselves. I usually come home with far more than I take. The missus used to get stroppy with me to start with 'coz I set up in the house yard. But now I have a camp up in the back paddock so she is happy again, especially when I bring home lumps of cash.

Have already delved into PM recovery. In fact, I hate people coming into my work area because apart from tripping over stuff, there are some very nasty chemicals stored there, and whilst some are bad enough on their own, when you mix some of them, like Nitric and Hydrochloric to get Aqua Regia for dissolving gold, they are lethal if breathed in. You must use all the safety gear. Having studied chemistry, I have a fairly solid knowledge of what happens. A girl at the place where I buy my chemicals told me once that she'd had people come in and buy nitric acid and then ask her if it was dangerous. Blows your mind Chris.

Well I've got a few years on you mate, I'm 72 but I'm told I act like a kid most times. Just had a triple by-pass in September and I gotta say it was the best thing ever. I haven't felt this good since my army years. Like 6-8 weeks out of the op, I was lifting engine blocks, only 4 cyl for sure, but still 70 kilo. I scare the crap out of my doctors, but they all know they will never get me to sit still, just can't do it.

Funny so say about rock'n'roll. In my youth I was a ballroom dancer (ended up as a professional because I got paid to teach) but we used to call it Jive. Won many comps but we won the teams comp at the World Championships when they were held in Melbourne at the old festival hall. Strangely enough, we danced a Samba that night.

So now as a retiree (ha ha ha) I get plenty of time in the shed. As I've said, I still do some accounting work which pays well, but I gotta get out of the house and do something physical. Gotta get back to golf. Haven't played for a while 'coz of the op, but I put a few down the paddock the other week and they looked good, so must get back to the Friday arvo game.

Cheers
                    Bill
                    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

Geeze Bill - I'm almost tired reading all that! Good on you!

I did read somewhere on this forum that the admin wants threads to stay on topic... but seeing so we are not seriously overrun with other member's comments and no sign of admin, I guess we can do as we like!
                      I only started regular posting about a week ago to try and kick-start a basically dead forum, so thanks for your part in helping!

Great regarding the PM recovery! When I get myself organised, I may have to pick your brains!

As for the dancing - it was totally alien to me 5 years ago, and it wasn't something I ever wanted to do! But you know, new partner so you try things! We did some ballroom, but now mostly 4 step R&R and some Jive (triple step). We will probably start a youtube channel teaching soon.. The trade-off was that the missus would try table tennis (and had never played a ball sport in her life!). She now represents Victoria at the Nationals each year! Maybe that just means I'm a good coach! Haha

Cheers,
                      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        Hey guys,
                        A friend of mine who is into retro gaming tells me that there's a real surge in interest in old crt TVs with SCART connectors! A quick search on ebay shows that they are selling very well!
                        Best not scrap them!!
                        Hi guys I actually joined up firstly because I've appreciated the pictures archived on this forum when I've been deciding on what TVs to buy (seen some useful pictures of the motherboards). I assumed you guys had stopped scrapping CRTs a few years ago. But a couple of weeks ago I saw a guy on here had recently scraped a Teac (rebranded) with both curved screen and RGB SCART input and I thought.. that thing is worth 50-100 dollars all day everyday, is this guy getting that much in scrap value or is he a complete dumbass?. lol.. Anyway I just thought I'd finally sign up to suggest you spend some time learning how to fix and maybe even modify the CRTs since you are good at finding them rather than scrapping them (which is also environmentally.. quite irresponsible). The RGB market is still an emerging market but good CRTs will be worth 500 dollars within 10 years. I've filled my garage with them already. Anyway.. just a heads up. Some LG TV's (the curved screen ones) can have a scart socket added (it was an unpopulated factory option) in about 10 minutes. CRTs with component inputs are worth good money too.

Comment

Working...
                        X