X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A barrow full of cable

yep...they're in a wheelbarrow.

Does anyone know of a good way to strip off the tape from deguassing cable? I tried to make a wire stripper but it's a fail. I've manually unwound the tape but it is slow and tedious work. I've thought to lay them out straight and run a razor down them but there has to be a better way that's more efficient. I'll work on the wire stripper but in the meantime if anybody has any good suggestions I'd like to hear them

Yeah, Wire strippers don't tend to work because it's just tape.

The best way I found is just a small flat knife, no serration as that tends to hook into the wire.
    I cut the cables into say 2ft lengths so their easy to handle, start at the centre and just skim along to the end, turn it around skim the rest.
    So by skimming I mean just a thin slice along the cable to expose the wire, when your done you just take the wire from the tip and pull it out of the casing.

Some thin degaussing cables you can only skim an inch of tape at a time, others you can skim almost all the way to the end, them ones take 10 seconds.
    Most of the cables I see in that barrow are good chunky ones, they're the easiest, just cut through them so you get a long piece and yeah, always start from the centre and skim a slit outwards to the tip.
    Buying eWaste link here

Comment

I've done some already by cutting them to make a straight length. I lay them flat and clamp the ends and run down it with a razor blade then peel back the cover. It does work but with a few to do I'd like the quickest way possible and I don't think that's it. I've only done the thicker stuff and that felt slow so not looking forward to the thinner lot. Fortunately though the majority of sets were 68cm.

Comment

I prefer a knife and skim but yeah, it's like everything scrap, build it up and it turns into a nightmare, always best to complete the job on the spot, scrap a crt, do the board, bust up the yoke, strip degaussing and only then move onto the next. degaussing cables are probably the worst to build up, there's no quick & easy way aside from just selling as is and taking a cut in value
        Buying eWaste link here

Comment

I have a skirting board on the front of my bench (to stop screws falling on the floor), it only sticks up half an inch or so and i lay the cable against it and run a blade down it, the board keeps the cable secure and straight and the body of the knife rubs against the board so you get a straight (ish) cut, TBH i tend to save it up and do it in the colder weather as it makes the tape less sticky but the downside is the tape snaps a lot
          I dont mind saving it up as i like scrapping stuff and find it relaxing but i can see how i could be a chore and a bit daunting with a load that size

Comment

Originally posted by WEEE Ben View Post
            I prefer a knife and skim but yeah, it's like everything scrap, build it up and it turns into a nightmare, always best to complete the job on the spot, scrap a crt, do the board, bust up the yoke, strip degaussing and only then move onto the next. degaussing cables are probably the worst to build up, there's no quick & easy way aside from just selling as is and taking a cut in value
            some sage advice there Ben. I went through an accumulation stage due to the industry I was working in and only started to break them down when I stopped acquiring them. I used the council collections to get rid of the tubes and plastic covers. The rest got piled until I got it sorted and am now moving it out. When its done its done and will end, it's not something I'll continue doing although I do enjoy the dismantling of it and the satisfaction of saving some natural resources from landfill but i'm not getting anymore in.

Comment

Originally posted by dirt diggler View Post
              I have a skirting board on the front of my bench (to stop screws falling on the floor), it only sticks up half an inch or so and i lay the cable against it and run a blade down it, the board keeps the cable secure and straight and the body of the knife rubs against the board so you get a straight (ish) cut, TBH i tend to save it up and do it in the colder weather as it makes the tape less sticky but the downside is the tape snaps a lot
              I dont mind saving it up as i like scrapping stuff and find it relaxing but i can see how i could be a chore and a bit daunting with a load that size
              the skirting board's a winner, I'll probably do something similar on a table if the wire stripper remains a no go. I'd rather accumulate it as well, a repetitive task becomes quicker over time when you hit auto pilot and get a good roll on.

Comment

You're absolutely spot on with the repetitive task comment. I don't bother with this stuff until I've got enough of it to get into the groove, so to speak, and then I just 'go to town' with it for hours.

Comment

The breakdown...

one tired looking stanley knife later and a numb tip of a forefinger from pressing down on it and the stripping is complete. Half way in I speculated I would get RSI from the repetition and on completion can confirm brain numbing from the monotony.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG 001.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	12471

Name:	IMG 002.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	12472

No idea what they weigh yet except for this piece that is the biggest and weighs nearly 2kgs.

Name:	IMG 003.jpg
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	12473

Using the microwave oven for scale

Name:	IMG 004.jpg
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	12474

A variety of colours although two could be the same..oh well.

Name:	IMG 005.jpg
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	12475

Comment

If anyone wants to guess the weight go for it and when they are sold I'll return to let you know.

Comment

66.kg's or about $400 worth
                      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

I think you're right on the money there Ben, I guesstimated around 60kg

Comment

Working...
                        X