A heap of boards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A heap of boards

Is it worth removing heat sinks and copper bits from tv boards before selling or just leave them intact?
    Obviously it will come down to less per kg if stripped versus the value of the accumulated scrap removed when sold.
    What's the best way to go considering the time loss involved also.

It depends on what your selling them for complete and what you sell them for depopulated.
    what are your options?

Comment

I'm sure he said 70c kg when I showed him one. I didn't enquire about depopulated. At this stage I just want to get rid of them and considering he is a scrap yard and not ewaste I feel fortunate he will even take them. The local ewaste closed down some time ago but wanted them for free at that time so they missed out.

Comment

I sell 'em for 35c kg and don't bother picking off anything but the main ic chip.
        a transformer sells for 30c kg, so obviously no point in taking them off if your going to lose, the aluminium isn't much, there might be 3 or 4 kg's all up, not worth ripping into for $4

Comment

I contacted the yard this morning to check the price and just got a confirmation message from the owner, 25c kg. Unfortunately english is not their first language so I probably heard it wrong god damnit.

Comment

Yeah that's to be expected from a scrap yard since it's not there main line
            So yeah, if you have nothing else to do and feel like depopulating you'll probably double up on value, maybe more, the boards could still be sent as scrap steel so there's 12c kg
            copper spools would be the main winner with the copper at $6 kg, aluminium $1 kg

Comment

Most scrap yards mix their boards in with the electric motors and not scrap steel.

Comment

which would be better yes? The yard I go to didn't want to know about coax cable but another yard said they'd take it for 20c kg steel price. There doesn't appear to be a standard procedure amongst scrap yards, they march to the beat of their own drum so I've learned it's a case of ringing around to see what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                  There doesn't appear to be a standard procedure amongst scrap yards, they march to the beat of their own drum so I've learned it's a case of ringing around to see what they do.
                  Most yards you'll find only take what they know they can sell on. If they get complaints from their buyers, then they tighten up. I know yards that will only buy certain items, most don't want 50 different grades of scrap hanging around till they can meet a specific volume. It is all about supply and demand. I don't bother ringing around either, considering the volumes I move on, it is might only be a difference of few dollars overall.

All I can say is put yourself in their shoes if you were the one handing over the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Bohdan View Post
                    Most scrap yards mix their boards in with the electric motors and not scrap steel.
                    Low-grade boards, or as I call them, power supply(CRT boards, brown boards etc.), should only be bundled with compressor motors(ie. fridge and air-con motors). True EMs(electric motors) , or CBMs(copper bearing motors are usually worth double the price of the former two items.

Low grade boards and fridge motors: 25-30c/kg
                    EMs: 50-60c/kg

Comment

• Bohdan
                      Bohdan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Been talking to a few of the bigger scrap yards over the past few weeks and they are now rejecting PCB's mixed in with the motors. Something has changed in the scrap metal world, big time. Will keep you posted.

• Nick
                      Nick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes it is due to the Sword program in China. Most local yards will not accept PCBs mixed in with the motors, Also all small wall adapter transformers and laptop chargers with PCBs must be cut off the copper wire, that is for yards where plug ends are still accepted on wires. Some local yards will still buy low grade boards if there are visible copper transformers on the board. This information was direct from Onesteel, which is where some of the local yards sell their scrap.
                  Working...
                  X