A pile of wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pile of wire

Next load to the yard is a pile of mixed wire. It's the result of scrapping a few hundred crts, lcds, plasmas, vcrs and misc other mainly domestic electronic pieces and is a combination of wiring looms and links ect as well as coax cable from installation upgrades. It's close to a cubic meter in size and was guesstimated by a drooling scrapper mate at 1/2 tonne in weight but he's unsure what it would fetch. What rate should I expect , I'm guessing it'll be the lowest price.
    Attached Files

It is hard to tell from the photos, but it depends on how much coax there is. If you remove the coax, at my local yard you would get between $1.90 and $2.20, and depending on their mood, either 15c or $1 for coax.

Comment

wow, that's more than I expected. I've heard they don't like coax much, it would probably pay to strip it to source the copper but it's not likely to happen. I may separate it though if it's recommended to do so.

Comment

I would recommend asking your local yards. The one near me doesn't care if it has plugs or not. Essentially as long as it is not coax, christmas lights, grease filled telecom or steel lined drop wire they will pay roughly $2. The ones I mentioned they will pay $1

Your best bet is to call around and tell them what you have and ask for their best price due to your bulk quantity.

Regarding the coax, the core is usually copper plated steel, so if you were to strip it, just go after the copper sheath. Sometimes it is tin plated #2 but usually it will go as #1 copper

Comment

maybe just remove some of the ribbon wire and obvious antenna wire, the rest should go as mid grade.
          nothing there would be worth stripping, coax is $1 kg, there is not $1 worth of copper per kg in coax.

Comment

Depends on how clued up the scrap yard is too, I've been knocked back on mixed loads like that before because a good portion of the cable from crt tvs turns out to be ally wire.

Comment

Yeah possibly, I would of thought crt wire was better, not that there's many crt's for a scrap yard to worry about these days but I bet they still sell it as mid grade insulated, most yards just sell it on in bigger qty's and the end processor wouldn't be picking through 100 tonnes a week to check for low grade, the best they can do is see if there's too many plugs to downgrade it, but yeah, there must be batches where they don't make a profit.

Eventually insulated wire may get re-graded across the board to suit modern day wiring which doesn't use as much copper, very much like how transformers have been down graded recently, a lot more transformers are aluminium whereas motors are still generally copper so prices have remained the same for motors.

Comment

I think the majority of it is sh*t tier and not copper except a lot of the coax is multi strand copper core and very thin solid copper core so I may take that out and add it to another load that is strictly copper only. I'll know this week what happens, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                X