TV Antennas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Antennas

In a previous life I installed terrestrial analogue/digital tv antennas and often removed the old stuff as part of the job which eventually resulted in a large number to get rid of. Part of the breakdown is a pile of rods that is approx one cubic meter in size with weight unknown. My question is what type of aluminium would these be classed as and what price could they fetch? Thanks

That is a good question. You will have to ask your yard. At my yard, they buy them as domestic aluminium ($1.15) if they have been bent into that shape and have a visible seem. If there is no seem they will pay extruded aluminium ($1.65). Though that may vary between yards. Soma may just say it is all domestic aluminium.

Comment

• Jason
      Jason commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks Nick, looks like I've got a mixture of both extruded and sheet aluminium. The older antennas were sheet before more modern manufacturing took over. I think the price is on the up atm so a good time to get rid of them and tidy up the backyard.

Domestic aluminium for sure. You could trim them into perfect lengths and you might get away with extruded, but for the hours worth of work for only a little extra money, it's not worth it.

Comment

just an update on this since it was cashed in yesterday, it was classed as domestic aluminium @ $1-kg and weighed in at 120kg. I couldn't be bothered trying to separate the two types so took it as a combined load just to get rid of it. I rang a couple of local yards and got the same rate so settled for a popular yard that others had recommended. Happy just to free up the back yard and get some beer money.

Comment

Quite a decent load of antenna's in anyone's book, I had a new style digital antenna installed recently, they are so small now, like a square foot.

Comment

yeah I managed to fill up the back of the VW Caddy with them which surprisingly has a big payload for such a small van. I still have the booms to go and about 20 odd antennas to break down so another load for another day. I don't think I got the best price for them but the yard was recommended to me by a couple of scrappers I talked to and is always busy so not knowing any better I settled for them.
          Digital antennas are certainly smaller than their analogue counterparts but some are so small they look like toys. You must have got a logarithmic type that work fine if you don't have too many outlets otherwise they usually need an amplifier.

Comment

Working...
          X