Nice rare find - projector TV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice rare find - projector TV

Been busy working, finally had enough time off and found a big ol projector tv. Post scrap autopsy revealed 3 yokes, approx 3 lbs wire, power boards out the wazoo and this gem (pictured). Won't see too many of these my wife claims, but well worth the effort!

Yeah they sure are getting scarce, that slot card will have gold fingers too.

Comment

Funny thing, the slot cards weren't slot cards. Rather they were pinned and staked. Main board and the large peripheral board had gold pins. More amazing was the 3" IC chip and the red epoxy dipped capacitors. And about 8 crystals. I'll post pics tomorrow morning.

Comment

More pics, everything on left side of bin came off the tv. Also snagged the cbm n heat sinks. Wife has weird shaped mirror for her little business.

Comment

The capacitors aren't Tantalum if that's what your wondering, just regular capacitors.

Comment

10-4, was just fixing to ask you. Nonetheless was a worthy pick up.

Comment

Break the resin off of you of those caps and see what the medium looks like. Ta caps can look like that. The fact that they came from a tv is irrelevant. When that tv was new, it was a very expensive unit.

Comment

• Geo
                Geo commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't actually done anything with mine although I do have a buyer for them. I can get a price list or post a link to his website. It's in the states but I would think that with enough quantity, it would be worth the postage to send them to him. His website has pictures of what he buys.

• WEEE Ben
                WEEE Ben commented
                Editing a comment
                No it's not worth it, post is more then the value from Australia.
                We had the guy that buys tantalum cap's in the US advertise here for some time.
                unfortunately prices have dropped a bit since so only option is to refine here but I don't think anyone will bother doing it.
                More something to keep for the day it shoots up in price again

• Geo
                Geo commented
                Editing a comment
                One way to lower cost of shipping is to reduce the amount of material by extracting the Ta from components. It is easy to incinerate the resin bodies to remove the pellets. The canister types can be reacted with acids. The Ta is inert in almost all corrosive acids so after dissolution of the non-target metals, only the Ta is left. The reason it is so hard to refine is because of tantalum's high melting point. At 3017 °C, ​5463 °F, it is beyond anything an individual can achieve outside of very special equipment. Tantalum is mainly used as sintered pellets in electronics. It is hardly ever used as a solid metal piece.
            Working...
            X