laptop batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop batteries

Hi all, just wondering what people do with there laptop batteries, as i'm looking for heaps of them if anyone wants to get rid of some just email me on the private msg thanks

If I get a bunch of them I just send them to battery recycling with other batteries.
    The odd one I pull out if I scrap a laptop might just go in scrap steel but most laptops I sell complete per kg so the battery has ok value just like that.

Problem with shipping is there's some restrictions and a bit complicated for the sender, you being in Tas' would add to the problem as there's obviously no road service.

Are you trying to build a large power pack or something?

Comment

Yes and learning more about them

Comment

Ok cool, be good if you shared some info on the subject it might be interesting to others.

Comment

• Bren gun21
          Bren gun21 commented
          Editing a comment
          Why I asked is I haven't got many batteries while scrapping and the laptop batteries may only have 1 bad cells to drag the rest down so I'm not after good batteries but unusable ones and I think if they aren't broken open it's safe to transport them, so if anyone has any laying about can contact me here and as i go through the process i will put it up on the forum

It just sounds complicated when shipping by air or sea.

D10.2.3 – Lithium batteries or cells Lithium batteries and cells are classified as dangerous goods, therefore there are limitations around their acceptance and carriage by Australia Post.

Please note that the information below is a guide to the requirements set out in the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations for transporting lithium cells or batteries.

It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure that all the requirements of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations and any other regulations applicable for the carriage of lithium batteries or cells are met when lodging lithium cells or batteries for carriage by Australia Post.

D10.2.3.1 – International carriage of lithium batteries or cells Under the Universal Postal Union convention Australia Post is only permitted to accept for carriage by air or sea mail lithium ion and/or lithium metal batteries or cells when the cells or batteries are installed in a device and packaged to the general packing requirements of Section II of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations, Packing Instructions 967 or 970 as applicable.

The following conditions apply for international carriage of lithium batteries or cells by air or by sea:

1. The batteries or cells must be installed in a device. Batteries or cells “accompanying” a device (e.g. spare batteries or cells for the device) and not installed in the device are not permitted for international carriage.

2. No more than four individual lithium cells or two lithium batteries (which satisfy the lithium content and/or lithium watt hour restrictions in conditions 3 and 4 below as applicable) in any one package.

3. For a lithium metal or lithium alloy cell, the lithium content shall not be more than 1 gram. For a lithium ion cell the Watt hour (Wh) rating shall not be more than 20 Wh.

4. For a lithium metal or lithium alloy battery the aggregate lithium content shall be not more than 2 grams. For a lithium ion battery, the Watt hour rating shall not be more than 100 Wh.

5. Lithium ion batteries must be marked with the Watt hour rating on the outside case.

6. The device(s) with lithium batteries or cells installed must: • be packaged in a way to prevent short circuits and damage to the lithium battery or cell • have an effective method of preventing accidental activation • be packed in good quality strong external packaging (fiberboard or stronger) as required by IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations Packing Instructions 967 or 970 (as applicable) that provides protection of the device(s) from movement and the usual shocks and loading that occurs in transport. Satchels and padded bags are not considered acceptable external packaging.

7. Electronic devices with lithium cells or batteries installed and which meet the requirements for acceptance for international carriage by air or sea mail must be lodged through an Australia Post retail or operational facility. Devices lodged through a street posting box will be returned to the sender or destroyed.

8. A package or parcel which contains an electronic device with a lithium battery or cell installed must be more than 2 cm thick.

Comment

Working...
        X