X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Ben, take your point mate, but I'm better than 80k from the nearest kebab shop, that's if there is one in Kingaroy.

I like the buckets coz I can take them with me when I'm scrapping cars at my mates yard. Great for tossing all the nuts and bolts and other small bits in. The rest just goes in the back of the ute to be sorted when I get home.
    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
    http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

I was thinking of knocking up some bins out of pallet wood. I'm not sure if make them completely out of wood, that might be too heavy. Instead maybe a wooden frame with a thinner 'skin'? I was thinking of thin sheets of plywood or that plastic they make real estate signs out of. Not sure if there a good scrap ( ie free) source of the stuff, though.

Comment

• Tybo
        Tybo commented
        Editing a comment
        The stuff you're thinking of is called coreflute. Any sign company will have plenty of offcuts of it that they will be literally chucking out. We use it by the tonne where I work and recycled heaps of leftovers. It makes excellent packing material too, so any packing company would have some also. I know they have it for sale at Bunnings, but it's not cheap.

• tvhunter
        tvhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Tybo, knowing what it's called will make it a lot easier to find if I go that way

If your going that way then why not just your standard frame & bag?
      Could be a fun welding project, maybe you could get someone at uni to bend some steel, do uni's still have workshops?

anyway yeah, the bag & rack system might work for you as you can just tie up and throw them into your vehicle, tip it into bins at the scrap yard.

How big you make the frame is obviously going to depend on the bags you can get, I might look around where to get small bags, large e-waste buyers prefer boards in bulka bags, they will give them to you for free to use and return when full, bulka bags are huge, might have to buy small bulka bags.

But the frame would be simple, light weight and in bags your stuff will be very portable.

Here's a couple examples of frame design that might give you an idea.

Just pop a bag over.. Click image for larger version

Name:	tubular-framed-polybag-holder1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	8412

This one the frame collapses, might be good after you empty the bags, you may not need all your frames at once. Click image for larger version

Name:	th?id=OIP.M26ff4cadcbad7c910d130adc53e1320fo0&pid=15.1.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	8413

probably too big to handle this one.. Click image for larger version

Name:	manubag-bulk-bag-container-000054692-4.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	8411
      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Damn, I see those things at work every time I'm there (they use them for linen collection etc) and never thought of doing that. It'd be a great idea if I could get a line on the bags, or even just sturdy fabric to make my own (gotta do something with the sewing machine I picked up off someone's junk pile).

They'd work great for cables, and copper etc. I'd probably still need something rigid for things like extruded ally (those heatsinks can be sharp), motors and steel.

Yeah, they still have a workshop at uni - there's a bitching lathe in there I like to gazed at through the window. I don't think think I've ever seen anyone use the workshop, mind.

Edit: maybe I should find out who's in charge of the workshop and visit his office with a six-pack...

Comment

I use milk crates for motors, they stack easy, I get about 8 vac' motors in and fill the crate up with small transformers, same as hard drives, 34 h/d's to a crate.
          for steel there's nothing worthwhile unless you have a forklift, I do lots of steel and all by hand, it's the only way.

Oh yeah I used to work for alsco linen, yeah you can go in to one of them linen places and ask for some old bags that need string ties etc.
          the strongest and best bags are aussie post material bags, they are thick and tuff as, you can go into a larger post office and ask for a couple each time because your mailing a heap of parcels etc.
          Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Yeah, I currently have my motors and heatsinks in milk-crates, but I need to line them with something to stop the small ones falling out.

With the steel, I really just want it kept neat while it's here. For me right now, it's more a by-product that needs to be disposed of responsibly than something I specifically want.

Comment

Where do you get milk crates (for free) ?

Comment

Anything. Old paint tins, booze boxes, milk crates whatever I can scavange. I'm very small scale though.

Comment

Working...
                X