X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Containers & tubs, what do you use ?

Morning guys, just a quick thought. I was stripping down 5 washing machines last week and thought, " hey those plastic drums will make good scrap containers " so I just blocked off the hole where the spindle shaft goes through and da daaaaaaa Very sturdy & best bit FREE What's your thought guys ?

Sounds like a good idea, the best things are always free
    Buying eWaste link here

Comment

All of my containers are buckets and tubs I find, that way they can get broken, crushed, split and pinched by forklifts. In the end I'll just chuck them and find new ones when they no longer serve a use.

Comment

I like 44s you can get 4 to a standard pallet.. And there always free if u hit up the odd workshop

Comment

We use 44s and some IBCs.

Comment

Everything we get is donated. Not enough volunteers to process it. We then sell to pay for electricity and lunch. We are lucky that the Armidale Council donated the use of the shed to use.

Comment

Looks like it's a great shed, lot's of stuff too.
              Buying eWaste link here

Comment

scrapped microwaves make good containers. as do ovens.

Comment

I bought a couple of mesh pallet bins full of cable for $50 each (was that worth of cable almost in each) and I scored some cool crates. Great for storing projects half stripped and things otherwise I use green bins for copper and random buckets I've found on hard rubbish

Comment

I use whatever I can get my hands on 20lt drums from a roadhouse or takeaways, microwave ovens blue plastic drums from farms which replaced the 44's plastic, ice-cream container's etc

Comment

G'day

A useful idea...

I get Golden Circle brand 2 litre tins in quantity from the back of hospitals, restaurants, etc. 14 will fit nicely into an old bread tray. I like them because I can get my hand into them.

When stripping out anything from a microwave to a car, I can sort all the useful bits into different tins. I write on the side of the tins what is in them, or what the parts came off.
                      Using an old bread tray keeps the tins together until they are saleable.
                      When the tins are mostly full, I take them to markets or yard sales and sell them from $2 to $20.
                      A tin of assorted metric car bolts always sell well. Assorted Fuses, Switches, even a tin of the ferrite rings sell. The rings are left over after stripping the Copper out of inductors and some transformers.

What is an inductor?...
                      https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...97653015,d.dGY

Comment

The only containers I buy are $2 plastic buckets from the $2 shop. As someone said, if they finally break, ya just toss them. 44's are like gold, never trade them. Otherwise I use whatever I'm scrapping, like microwaves, ovens, dryers washers. Anything that I can put my lightweight steel in.

I like to use my 44's for my insulated copper because I get a lot of it from scrapping cars. Fill one of them up and there is a bit of money. Also use a couple of heavy duty plastic tubs that I scrounged for putting a lot of my heavy steel in. Basically anything under 1 metre in length, cut it up if you have to. Do have a couple of small wheelie bins which are good for clean copper wire, zinc, cast ali - anything that I get in a bit of volume.

Trouble is there is not a great margin in scrap unless your into it bigtime, so no value in spending much on containers when you can generally find something that works just as good.
                        OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
                        http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

• WEEE Ben
                          WEEE Ben commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Buckets? You can get food grade white buckets from the back of kebab shops, or ask them, they have bucket loads
                          It buckets from yoghurt so the busier the kebab shop the more dips they sell, the more buckets they have.

Make sure you ask them for the lids, the beauty of them being food grade is you can stack a bunch up and incase you might need to store water or food, they would be perfect.
                      Working...
                      X