X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up the workshop

Hi all,

I been chopping and changing the workshop setup for a couple months now.
    every time I think it's right, something changes and everything gets muddled up.

Past few weeks was a big change, circuit boards sell differently to how I kept them,
    I had a bucket for dvd boards which I don't need anymore, they just go as low grade using the new style of grading.
    CRT's are slowing up so no need for a degaussing cable bucket, or a yoke bucket, may aswell do them as they come.
    And some small buckets have changed, so anyway, in between scrapping things out I been shifting a lot of buckets around.

I think i'm at the final stage of having the setup I need, tomorrow i'll be doing the finishing touches and I can get back into scrapping.

There's 3 scrap area's here, I got the garage, the tinker shop (shed) and an outside scrapping table for tv's, vac's and larger stuff.
    didn't get any pic's today but i'll take some tomorrow to give ya'll a look see at my humble setup.
    Buying eWaste link here

Well this is my Tinker Shop..

It's a small shed, there's a washing machine with rug on top used as the work bench, I sit there and tinker away at little things.
    I scrap out most things into a bucket and then bring the bucket here when full and scrap the small bits out, unwind copper spools,
    clean circuit boards, bust open things that need it.

I found doing all the smashing up of things inside this shed, if I get distracted and need to do other things, I can close the door and leave it as is.
    when I used to do the breaking in the main workshop, the mess would hang around for too long, dust and plastic bits everywhere.

The buckets here are the more common things that come from stuff I do in here.
    down below are two barrels, one's for insulated wire the other's for gold plugs..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• Tybo
      Tybo commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a small tub like this, it's got all sorts of things in there like sim cards and other random items that have gold on them but I don't know what to do with.

• WEEE Ben
      WEEE Ben commented
      Editing a comment
      well you could wait until you had a sizeable pile, buy a bottle of each of nitric acid & hydrochloric acid from bunnings, mix 'em together 1:3, drop in your omg it's gold and viola!

i'm not sure what happens next though

• Tybo
      Tybo commented
      Editing a comment
      I have thought about this, but I'm not sure if I want to go down the chemicals route just yet. At this stage my pile is still small, so I guess I have time to figure it out what I will do with it. And it doesn't take up much space, so it can just sit there.

I don't mind sitting here for a few hours a week, can look out the window into my vege' patch too..

to my right is my finger board pit, all cards with gold fingers, lcd strip boards, small high end fingers go here..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

further right of the pit are these buckets, the're right next to the door and the alloy bucket gets used a lot so it's convenient where it is.
      I have a larger aluminium section that I sort that bucket into when full..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• Tybo
        Tybo commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember reading somewhere once that aluminium is one of the only products that is smart and efficient to recycle, as it is very difficult to extract and produce. I'd recycle it no matter what, but I think from a scrap point of view it's value is just rubbish. Personally I think the best ally pieces are heat sinks off of boards, 'cause they're small and dense, and will fill a small space like a bucket. But strips and lengths of ally are just too big with no real weight, a square metre of pieces like this and it's worth less than $10. A bucket of brass or stainless on the other hand, and you have yourself a decent bit of coin. I try and cut up lengths of ally to make them more compact, but then this is just added work. Just my opinion of course, each to their own.

• Tybo
        Tybo commented
        Editing a comment
        That's funny DJ, I remember asking at yard once, "So what are the difference's between the grades of ally?". The response I got was, "Oh, there's heaps." To which I replied, "So what's the difference in grade and price between all of these?", showing the guy my three different piles. "Ah nothing, those can all go in the same", was the response I got. Ironic huh?
        Just like any metal, I have no doubt the differences are huge! But as a scrapper, the yard buying my stuff tells me they're the same, so I treat them all the same. You're probably right also about the volumes, I guess they'd pile all aluminium together just to get a sizable, weighty amount. The thing I hate about aluminium from a scrap point of view is that it weighs next to nothing, and weight in any scrap, is value.

• WEEE Ben
        WEEE Ben commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh nah I agree, aluminium is a pain in the butt to handle full stop, separating it gives us a little extra but it's still awkward to store it.
        yeah them heavy heat sinks are great, it all adds up in the end.

and the whole left side of the shed is where I drop freshly scrapped stuff in buckets, crates or anything.
      at the moment I'm a bit swamped with lcd monitors so all I do to 'em initially is remove the bases and cables and stack 'em like this until I get to 'em..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

As you can probably tell, I like my buckets, infact I'm a bucket fanatic, i'm planning on doing a thread of all my buckets soon.

Here's a rundown on all the buckets in the tinker shop.

OMG it's GOLD is for everything small that has gold on it, like printer ribbons with them blobs of gold and the small tabs on cartridges and anything small with gold.

Motor/Transformer bucket, DVD Eye's bucket 'cos I like to keep them and Spools To Do, I usually spend an hour every so often to do them.
        Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Low Grade & Mid Grade board buckets, a Trash Can, because I think oit's cool to call a rubbish bin a trash can.
          and the busiest copper bucket, Burnt, which is most of the copper that comes from e-waste.

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

The Switch bucket is for small switch boards, or switches removed from larger boards.
            Milberry bucket for the bright & shiny copper wire.
            Stainless Steel Yoke Clamps from CRT Yokes, and braided copper wire that is strapped around CRT tubes..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Forgot this one hanging up, after I remove the gold ribbon from print cartridges, they go here for recycling..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Well that's my Tinker Shop, next up will be my outdoor workshop area and then the main workshop.
                Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Bloody hell, you've got a lot of buckets.

Comment

Heh yep, I got a good source for buckets so I make the most of it

This is the outside scrap area in very neat and tidy condition, on a rush of incoming, it can go to crap pretty quickly.
                    the bench is a washing machine on it's side, there I do printers, monitors, vacc's and anything I don't want to bring into the main workshop..

To the left of the bench area is where I stack incoming TV's, I try and put fresh tv's to the back and scrap from the front.
                    it acts like a quarantine area, I let the tv's rest for a week or more before I scrap 'em out..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Working...
                    X