X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New toy has arrived!

4KG Devil forge arrived need to coat it and let it dry.
    Also had a #3 graphite crucible arrive at the same time
    Attached Files

What are you going to melt?
    Buying eWaste link here

Comment

I have several KG of Brass, Copper and Aluminium collected so far.
      Still working on my collection of Zinc Alloy and gold pins.

I need to make the tongs next before my first firing.

Comment

I only tried melting brass once, was messy in the electric furnace, it spat out white frothy stuff, I think it was the zinc in it or something else I don't know, maybe since mixed brass can have other metals in it, I might of had a weird combination in there.

Aluminium is easy enough, copper is much more difficult to get it to melting temp so you wanna do it with at least 2/3 of a gas tank until you get the air adjustments right on the furnace.
        The crucible should be primed before first use and keep an eye on it to look for cracks, those chinese ones are a bit suss for me for copper anyway.

Gold pins? your going to melt the pins as is? they call that gold drop and will have so low gold content it's pretty much worthless as it further complicates the recovery of it.
        Much better to recover the gold from the pins as they are.

Yeah you want a good set of tongs, long enough so the heat doesn't hit your hands and grippy enough so you don't drop the crucible when you have molten copper, it really is serious heat by then.
        Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Im planing on making the gold pins into plates for electro refining.
          So long as I can get the gold above 10% I should be good.

The white "stuff" from brass melts is Zinc oxide. You really dont want to breath that stuff, once it is solid its safe

Comment

• WEEE Ben
            WEEE Ben commented
            Editing a comment
            It won't be with pins, it'll be under 1% unless only the pins from ceramic cpu's, then maybe 3%

• WoolyMammoth256
            WoolyMammoth256 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats why I plan on trying to electroplate out the copper and zinc as much as is reasonable to get at least 10% Gold.

• WEEE Ben
            WEEE Ben commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I see, I'd like to the process of that, can you make a video or something when you do it?
            It's something i'll be getting into later on when i'm done with scrapping e-waste, i'm still in accumulation mode
        Working...
        X