Scrap Metal Blues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap Metal Blues

I know it's very hard on scrap metal guys at the moment, with prices around $50 a tonne it's hardly worth the effort to go out looking for it.
    I'm noticing more scrap steel items lying about on the sides of roads for many days before they get picked up.

Not sure how long this slump in scrap steel will last, by the time it does come back up we might see a new generation of scrappers and the old will probably move on.
    e-waste though is still going strong with gold prices holding up because of the low aussie dollar, some of those who may of been scrap steel people have made that switch,
    I see that with the new people selling me motherboards etc, most are very new to e-waste and with crt's no almost gone, the old school copper scrappers are trying to get their head around circuit boards, gold recovery etc.

well, let's see how the next 6 months pans out, next seasons hard rubbish will be a good guage on whether steel scrappers have left like they seem to be at the moment.
    keep your chins up guys, all's not lost and we'll come out of it eventually.

Buying eWaste link here

I agree, usually in Adelaide every scrap of steel has been picked off the streets by the time the council comes to pick everything up. This year there were still washing machines and fridges on the side of the road. While items such as small printers and flat screen computer monitors were no where to be seen. It does seem like people are changing what they pick up in favour of e-waste over steel. Though the old style computers and TVs were still ripped apart as usual.

Some of the scrappers who I have talked too told me that they drive through the streets with a trailer and fill it up with a few washing machines to cover the cost of petrol while looking for TVs to take the copper out of. The usually leave the power board behind because there are very few places in Adelaide who will pay any more than steel for them.

Comment

A lot of smaller guys have packed up around my way.... In town it's $20 a ton.. An hour away its 60 a ton on shred with only a 10% allowance on white goods in your load.....

And I've noticed I'm getting a lot more calls to pick up cars ..

Comment

Another good post,i agree with all that's said and have noticed things are a bit tougher at the yards I go to as well,for instance took in a small bag of dom copper the other week and they deducted one kilo off the total weight to cover the weight of the bag it was in,it was just a small chaff bag would have maybe weighed 150 grams total,i suppose they are feeling the pinch as well but they have never done this before,next time I will just empty the bag on the scale,this yard is also paying a flat $2.50 per battery regardless of weight,and wont pay for microwave transformers other than as pressing steel,they used to take them in with the electric motors,times are tough.

Comment

Well here in Tassie e-waste is the go for like the mission shop "not with mission Australia" they have the council involved in getting the stuff for them, as I said before here in northern Tassie they pay nothing for steel at the moment under 1/4", and yesterday I went and done my regular Sunday trip to pick up my stuff and was told even the tip's here may have to start paying to get rid of there steel and that means that people will have to pay to take it there then you know what that means.
          I am hording all my copper/Al at the moment thankfully I have plenty of space
          Junkhunter that's a bit rich to deduct 1kg for a chaff bag, they must be doing it tuff, but still I'm keeping my mouth shut but could say a few thing which isn't allowed on the forum, be careful they might charge you for them to use one of there's.
          if there's one thing I've learnt over the years is what goes' around comes around

Comment

The sims metal yard up the road from me is on fire, hope they didn't read this thread and thought let's just burn the place down and move on
            That's two yards around here in 12 months, you'd think scrap steel wouldn't burn so quick to spread so big.
            They are a bit slack so probably have been taking cars full of fuel still.
            Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Saw that on the news Ben,we had a few fires when I worked in a yard,people would put car batteries on the floor or in the boot of cars then throw other stuff on top of them and arc the terminals out ,instant fire,amazing how quick fires burn even though its mainly steel

Comment

One door closes, another one opens. I've been very quiet as of late, and pretty much gave up on Kerbside collection this year once it was outside my area. I've since moved onto my other hobby of fishing and left most of my scrap work where it sits, plenty of yokes to smash, degaussing wire to strip, boards to pick and sort. I'll get back into when I need some cash to splurge on something.

Even with the price of steel, steelers are still out there in droves up here. I saw washing machines still with there motors in them, and hot water systems with all the brass fittings last time I did a steel dump at around 6c/kg. I see these fenced up utes, full to the brim with steel, whitegoods, computers, TVs, and they just drive to the scrap yard and dump it all as steel. I'm sure they could get 2c/kg and they wouldn't change their ways.

Good luck out there people!

Comment

• Bren gun21
                  Bren gun21 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well Tybo, I hope to see you back on the forum but fishing is a great pass time, I did it for a few year up in NSW and very much enjoyed it but i'm enjoying this as well, We'll keep your seat warm for your return

Was at the scrap yard today and got $6.10 for #1 copper so that was ok.
                They tell me next week steel is going down again, probably to 3c or 4c kg
                Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Sounds as though your going to end up like me mine went down to 3c and the nothing if that happen then we're all going to be in the same vote, I hope it doesn't for your sake
                  the copper price seems better, I think we just keep plodding along, you didn't check the Al price while you were there did you

Comment

No I didn''t ask about aluminium but it usually holds better then copper does so I imagine it'll still be good.
                    my scrap yard was almost empty of steel, not many bothering with it at the moment or stockpiling it for better times.
                    Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• DJGrecycling
                      DJGrecycling commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ally is still going ok hasn't really dropped that much maybe 10c if that ..

It hasn't really affected me as I only deal with non-ferrous, but I've only been able to do the odd bit of opportunistic scrapping haven't been around much because of my studies. Only one month to go!

Comment

Working...
                    X