X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Load B4 Going West

Don't have a video of this trip to Brisbane but have a photo that might be of interest

I get to scrap a lot of fridges and freezers so I end up with a lot bodies taking up space. The idea is always to cut them open and recover any copper tubing in the insulation. But I worked out that it wasn't worth my time and effort. To cut open a normal fridge will cost a couple of cutting blades and a couple of hours labour. The tubing you get is of a small diameter and lightweight. Then it usually has insulation stuck to it which needs to be cleaned off if you want it classed as Candy. In my opinion, not worthwhile. And while I'm on about fridges etc, the compressors are a very debatable thing to cut open and recover the copper wire inside. It is classed as Burnt Copper which still brings good dollars but again it is the cost of cutting blades and your time. You need to keep an eye on the price your yard is paying for compressors, but it is line ball. And if you start to look at compressors from air conditions, they are worse. You need up to 4 cuts to get the goodies out, and they are generally much heavier than those out of fridges so a better price per unit as a whole thing.

I'm telling you this because since I started doing this professionally, I have taken a different view to scrapping. You have to start costing out all of your time and make sure that your time spent is worth it in money terms. As a hobbyist you can take all the time in the world because times doesn't cost you. If I take too long , say, cutting open compressors, I have to compare how much more money I could make say, stripping a car.

Anyhow, attached is a pic of the load I took to Brisbane. There are 30 various units on the truck, and the highest point went 3 metres. Got a good price classed as dirty light gauge. To some the load might look a bit shaky, but nothing moved during the 300k trip. Yep every time you stop you must check your load binders and tighten them, especially within the first 100k. Cheers all.
    Attached Files
    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
    http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

I agree Bill - I sell compressors as is and fridges I stay well clear of - just too much hassle and mess.

Comment

The load looks fine to me Bill! But just to be safe, I won't follow you in the same lane on the freeway! 😜🤣
      Totally agree with the compressor thing! I took 175kg of them to the yard on Tuesday and got 90c/Kg 👍😊

Comment

Chris, that's good dollars for the compressors, validates my point about not cutting them open.

And mate, I've got to bite back about not following me. So I didn't have a hitch around the back of the load. The unit on the right hand side was angled towards the front, it was sitting on the caming rail. The unit on the left was very heavy and what you don't see is that on the bottom side was a pipe that was digging into the tray. Over the top you had a 2.5 tonne load binder. It was never going to move, and over the 300k trip, it never moved. I have many years experience in loading trucks and I'm not about to invite the Main Roads Department to have a go at me. Just remember that if I lose that load and kill someone, I'm in gaol for life.

I know I've sounded off a bit here, but many of you would not know my experience in the transport industry.

No offence taken Chris, your comment was valid. I just needed to explain. Cheers, Bill
        OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

All good Bill, it was a "tongue in cheek" comment really. I've also had a lifetime of cartage experience and actually still mostly use old fashioned ropes rather than tie-downs.. so I've become pretty good at securing loads.
          Mainly furniture these days.. which not only shouldn't land on the car behind, but also not be damaged by rope rubbing!
          Yes, I was very happy with my prices - video coming soon!
          Cheers, Chris

Comment

Chris, did you take all your stuff in on that load, or do you still have a heap left? The two yards I go to are small, so not too much in the way of forklifts, trucks etc. They are more like one car in at a time. Even though I get paid next to nothing for my light iron, I do love that when they bring me a bin I can hurl it in and make lots of noise, no-one tells me to be quiet. I almost feel like asking them not to help me unload it, just for the noise satisfaction.

Comment

Hey Cat, love your post. You have hit on a great problem within the scrap industry. You mention that you got nothing for light iron, I know it as "Light Gauge". I just pulled $25 a tonne for "Dirty Light Gauge". 25C a kilo! This is the difference between dealing with small yards as against big yards. You must keep in mind that the small yard you deal with has to on sell to a larger yard to make his profit, so you will never get the best prices available.

Look, I do this professionally, and so I want the best price available. I deal within the big dealers who can pay me a premium price for my product. I'm in Queensland mate so can't comment too much about other states, but I know that the small dealer can come into the yard that I use and get excellent prices. Okay, unless you are a registered dealer you are probably going to get less dollars. They just use your rego number to do the deal. My company is registered with my yard, so I get a very good price. They also provide me with weekly or fortnightly price lists.

Cat, it always comes down to volume. Hobbyist scrappies are never going to have the volume required so must take what is offered. I started out as a hobbyist and got prices way below what was on offer to professionals. I took the plunge and went professional. That cost me money. I had to set up a business entity (Company), buy lots of new tools, upgrade my transport, and so it goes on. That means I have to get top money to make a go at it.

Cat, don't let me disillusion you. Keep going mate. If what you are doing is a hobby, then you will come out in front.

Keep on scrapping
              Bill

PS. I don't normally give away my prices, but I just had to make a point to show you how the industry works. And, by the way, my load of dirty light gauge was comprised of fridge and freezer bodies minusthe compressors and any copper tubes and electrical cable accessible on the outside.
              OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

Originally posted by cat View Post
                Chris, did you take all your stuff in on that load, or do you still have a heap left?
                Cat, here's what I took in..

Light steel - 1089kg
                No 2 copper - 79kg
                PVC wire - 392kg
                Batteries - 206kg
                Fridge motors - 175kg
                Transformers - 392kg

And yes, I have a heap left! Another load at some stage soon if the prices hold!

Comment

Light gauge prices are the best they have been in 10 plus years at my yard in WA at the moment - light steel is worth the trip again!!
                  Insize is $200 plus - happy days - clearing a back log of steel out as quick as I can.

Comment

LoveaGoodScrap, I think even here in the West, prices have been getting better, just a matter of how long for. Last time I took light guage, in January, was 6cents kg, compared to the normal 3 -5 cents. Insize was 15cents kg.

Comment

• LoveaGoodScrap
                      LoveaGoodScrap commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I did a load last week mate - just shy of a ton - prices will stay strong while iron ore prices are strong. Most yards should be giving you 20c plus a kg for insize now - call around a couple of yards and they will give you a price.

Bill, I totally understand what you are saying about difference between business and hobby. I usually go in with about 250 -350kg only, mostly light guage from computer cases, which are filled up with screws and small pieces. This takes up about two thirds of the car, then the rest is what makes it worthwhile. Usually cash in about $100 at a time. Take the clean cases to a different yard to my e-waste, as e-waste yard pays nothing for them, but can donate them, so they just get the dirty stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X