X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Cans

Hey scrappers
    Does anyone collect this? Rather than collect I mean keep. I don't search for them just keep my beer cans and crush them. I must have collected a couple of hundred over the last 6months but still so light!

Any ideas on what the $ p/kg is? I'm wondering if it's worth it as they take up so much room aswell!

Perth price is 60-70 cents a kg.

Comment

I once started but worked out pretty quickly it wasn't worth having a tub for them.
      Think it works out as 1c a can so I usually just throw them in with scrap steel but sometimes I stomp on a few and put them into my mixed aluminium bin and the yard don't seem to mind a few as I also put cast aluminium in too. I don't get enough cast to justify 3 bins for aluminium, I have two, mixed & extruded.
      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

I collect cans (and glass / plastic bottles). NSW pays 10c each.
        I just pick them up off the road walking around my area and also from the recycle bin in my apartment block. I don't really try that hard and get $10-$20/month. If I worked at it and had a cart I could do that daily.

The stupid thing is that you can't crush them so they are really bulky.

Comment

Why can't you crush them

Comment

Not sure why but they need to be mint condition to be accepted. Its weird

Comment

Change your scrap yard mate.

I have been crushing ally cans for years - never questioned - same price - easier to store etc etc

Comment

LoveaGoodScrap, mate they are talking about container recycling as opposed to selling ally cans for scrap. My recycler was taking them squashed or whole until his counting machine arrived from overseas. Apparently the machine can't count them if they're squashed.
                OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
                http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

Ah, sorry, got ya.

Comment

The bulk places get 16c refund when they sell back to main supply , government supply’s company’s with grants to pay the 10c can bottle container skem then every 2 weeks they collect all and refund the 16c a can container bottle , , we tske in a few tons every few weeks crushed and u crushed just depends on the places u go, but I do have to say there is ruff 77652 cans to a ton so ruff $7652 a ton , that’s before they make a extra 6 c per item,

Comment

Thanks Heavysteel09, wasn't aware of the 16c refund bit. What state does that apply in? In Qld, as far as I know, the depots get 10.2c per unit. They would need a large amount of units to turn a decent profit. Up here it seems to be one of those things that no one wants to talk about.

My local depot, which is in rural Qld, and is also set up in an indigenous township, got a grant of $100,000 to set up. When they started they would take cans any way they came, but told me that when the counting machine arrived they could only take un-squashed cans and plastic bottles, otherwise the machine couldn't count them. Last I heard the machine was on the water somewhere between Canada and here.

Same old problem. Each state does it their way. Typically they can't all be the same. Why they all can't copy S.A., who has been doing it for donkey's years, I don't know. I mean, why re-invent the wheel? Anyway that's the way it is. But as I said, I was not aware of the 16c refund bit.
                      OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
                      http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Okeden View Post
                        Same old problem. Each state does it their way. Typically they can't all be the same. Why they all can't copy S.A., who has been doing it for donkey's years, I don't know. I mean, why re-invent the wheel?
                        It's a genetic fault with humanity Bill - everyone thinks they can come up with a better wheel!

Comment

Working...
                        X