X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys,
    Just after a rough current figure for heavy steel (not light gauge). I'm doing a scrapping video on stacking steel in 44 gal drums and how I go about it. So, to do some calculations at the end, I need a rough idea of current price for nuts/bolts/offcuts and other small heavy steel pieces. Melbourne area would be good - but anywhere would give me a guide.
    I'd call some yards - but they are probably closed for a week or two this time of the year!

Comment

Ok - this forum barely has a pulse! Perhaps I can breathe some life into it by posting everywhere and someone may just wake up!

Further to my request for a steel price - I believe what I have in drums is referred to as "HMS insize" - (Heavy Melting Steel - of less than a metre in length so it doesn't need any processing before heading to the smelter). Correct me if i'm wrong here!

And another question - some of it is good heavy cast iron. Do the yards pay better for cast? Is it worth separating the cast from normal steel/iron? Many years ago I used to sell cast to a local foundry and they paid much better than scrap steel price..
      Thoughts?

Comment

And another question..
        A few years ago I remember many scrap trucks passing through town heading to Melbourne when the steel price went sky-high!
        I have a feeling it was just before the Beijing Olympics - which would make it 10 years ago!
        Does anyone remember the prices Melbourne yards were paying back then??

(Come-on.. someone must be awake in here....?)

Comment

Nah Chris, no one is awake in here. This forum has been dead for so long mate. You have sort of started something, but I reckon you are bashing your head against a brick wall.
          OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
          http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

Hi all - been scrappimg for year but only found this forum recently - great info in it but very sleeeepy. My take is that it is just a reflection of where the metals market is at - which is normal!
            When prices were sky high every one was all over scrap metal but now the norm prevails.

Regardless - great to swap ideas and knowledge so I hope the forum kicks on.

Comment

Hey Loveagoodscrap - and welcome! Bill may very well be right about banging my head against a wall trying to wake this forum up.. but I'm not one to give up easily!
              If I can't wake the dead though, at least I can chat to newcomers!
              Yep - I agree with the flat market transposes to a flat forum theory.. but for those of us who aren't really active sellers and just enjoy the scrapping and accumulation, then the market doesn't really matter!

Interestingly, every time I log on here I check "who's online" and mostly it's just myself and one or two other registered members who don't post - but there's always between 60 & 120 guests perusing the forum!!!!
              So I figure activity should increase if we keep ticking things over! If nothing else, I do seem to get some traffic to my youtube channel when I post links on here... so I'm happy with that

Cheers,
              Chris

Comment

Interesting development with the Chinese setting a july end date for scrap steel..........I imagine it has already had a major effect on prices.

Comment

I have two local scrap dealers (Alexandria and Marrickville). Neither pays for ferrous.

Any suggestions of who will pay in the southern Sydney area. I don't have a lot of ferrous but it galls to hand over 30 kg of heavy melt brake discs and get nothing.

Comment

I don't know what's happening in Melbourne lately - I checked some prices earlier in the year but haven't followed up. I just store my heavy steel as I have room and don't need the cash flow. One day the planets will align!

Comment

Perth prices - light gauge is around $80 a ton, heavy and Insize $160 a ton. Stainless and cast alloy are both paying 70 cents a kg.

You are right Chris Insize is less anything less than a metre.

Comment

Working...
                      X