Scrap Steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, once again I wonder is it a Perth thing, looking at the Melbourne prices there Ben for your non ferrous. The last prices I had over here was Motors / Transformers $0.40c / kg same with batteries, extruded ally $1.1, domestic ally $0.9. Candy copper is $6. Power cords are $1.7 and low grade wire is $0.60. Mixed brass $3.7. Last time I took in power supplies they called it mixed metal and gave me $0.10 a kilo so went back to scrapping them out. I have three scrap yard in my general area and they are all fairly close in price. I guess I’ll stop whinging now and just try to push more volume of non ferrous and probably scrap more stuff out on the spot.

Comment

• RWLauren
      RWLauren commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Cliffy, I purchase PSU in Perth - depending on where abouts in Perth you actually are. I also know a metal place in Malaga that will likely offer more than that. Feel free to send me a message or email on Admin@reversewaste.com.au

Strangely enough the place I go to is convinced there is no extra value in comp psu and pay at stell price. But the plastic laptop transformers go at $0.35. Work that out!

Comment

It's more about them not having a buyer for PSU's, not that don't value them. I can sell them for 45c kg to my board buyer so they are known to have value.
      The laptop transformers are usually just a transformer inside, if you crack the plastic you'd get 60c kg for the transformers, plus a little wire and the brass prongs so 35c kg is a cheap price really.

As far as Perth prices, it's obviously got to do with transportation, their buyers are most likely in the eastern states so it makes sense they have lower prices.
      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• WEEE Ben
        WEEE Ben commented
        Editing a comment
        oh sorry I was talking about the transformers from the end of plugs, not the laptop transformers with the circuit board inside

Originally posted by Cliffy View Post
      So I usually just donate my small amounts of scrap steel from tvs and computers to my local scrap yard for free. I recently bought a trailer so I thought why not load up and do a run to the big scrap yard. (Sims Metal - Kwinana - Perth)
      First time there and although they have a public drop off area, it really was a hassle. Had to have all the high vis, hard hat,safety glasses, gloves ect. (I work in the mining industry so I’m used to this...just not when hobby scrapping).
      I had about 480kg of scrap (I weighed it at home as I loaded it) I off loaded and went to the bridge. After watching Ben’s recent videos of his runs in Melbourne getting 16 cents a kilo , I was optimistic. Well, their public price in Perth is $76 a ton! To top it off they calculated my load @ 400kg. I guess they only work in 100kg increments. And after all that there was a $26 a ton Contrib charge. No idea what that was for but it took me down to a piddling $50 a ton. 5 cents a kilo!
      I don’t know if there are many other scrap yards in Perth paying for scrap steel but I’ll be going back to offloading it at my local yard from now on.
      This is just typical of SIMs to be honest. When I started out scrapping this was my first call, and learnt a lot, but would never go back. I almost always felt belittled when I went there, and they ripped me off on several items on several occasions. My first steel run which, was a good load of steel, netted me $6 at SIMs, so I swore off collecting for ages till I found my current yard. Now I get the best market value, around 16c/kg at the moment for LG, with no contrib charge, and have never felt inadequate or forced to wear a filthy hard hat just to set a foot in the yard.

Shop around Cliffy, you'll find someone better then SIMs.

Comment

• WEEE Ben
        WEEE Ben commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there's a blast from the past.. Tybo!

Yeah I cannot speak lowly enough of Sims either, but I don't have to say much, just one visit there and they speak for themselves.
        Their e-waste division is worse, tried to make contact a few years ago and was treated pretty poorly, it's common in the e-waste game though, most don't know what their missing when dealing with smaller outfits.

• Tybo
        Tybo commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Ben, yeah I'm still around. I check in every now and again, and have a look what's been going on. Very busy these days, and while I still scrap everyday items that fall into my lap, I have very little time for it these days. Working FT, studying PT and having a new baby, doesn't leave me with lots of tinkering time.

Story about Sims...before they went public.....theywere still the same......unloaded a load of engine blocks and cast iron by hand at the cast pile.........I knew the guys there,and the manager,we had agreed on a price,and I knew they wanted cast.....went to the weighbridge ,got the ticket,into the office...the dutchman came out of his office,and accused me of not waiting for the magnet...reckoned I,g unloade concrete....tTold the cashier to give me $40 a ton,when cast was selling for $150..........I used to do a lot of business with Sims,never went back after that.....but in those days Sims were used to being the only player.......do any of you remember the Federal Transport Minister being sacked for taking bribes from S.....

Comment

Hi all,
        Interesting reading all this.. and I have something to add!

I live north of Melbourne - about an hour from the ring road. A little too far to bother loading up a tonne of light steel with the fuel costs and all..
        But I'm only 30 minutes from Shepparton and there's a scrap yard there (Future Metals).
        Perfect, I thought.. as I'm often running the van or my ute & trailer up there empty to bring home loads of other stuff for work. A great opportunity to start cleaning my yard out (I probably have at least 2 or 3 tonne of random light steel to clear out of here.. and it builds up regularly).
        So I call into the yard last time i was in town and inquired on pricing. Just as well i did!!!!
        The price quoted - for clean steel delivered to their yard was $30 per tonne! That's like just 3 cents a kg. I was rather disappointed to say the least! Oh, they did say they would do a little better for heavy stuff - maybe even $50.
        Is this just because they don't have any competition in the area? I did query it and told them I'm a secondhand/recycle business and have an ABN... but they didn't seem remotely interested!
        Now I'm not sure what to do with it all - perhaps i'll just give it away as i don't have time to load it all and stuff around at a scrap yard for a measly $30.. :/

Cheers,
        Chris

Comment

scrap yards just off the ring rd in laverton pay 150 tonne, that will make it worthwhile as fuel would only be $15 and if you have a little brass or copper then they probably pay better for that too
          Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Thanks Ben,
            Any particular one? I guess I could load the van up for a trip down next time I have a spare day - just to see if it's worthwhile!
            If I throw in some copper hot water cylinders, at least the trip will be worthwhile

Comment

• WEEE Ben
              WEEE Ben commented
              Editing a comment
              Pacific metals is as good as any

Any yard is going to want a certain quantity......2 or 3 ton for light ...before you get above rubbish price.....other wise its just a waste of their time weighing unloading and paying. out....I never bother with my own transport any more...youre just a target for the scalies..........just get a bin,and fill it.........they always give me a price ,and hold for a month.......the local crowd even held when the price crashed about 3 years ago.I expected $ 20 a ton and got $130... They sell on futures contracts,and always know what they will get in 1,2,3 months time.

Comment

Last weekend I got 15c/kg steel. Only had about 200kg of it. I had some monitors, and speakers in there aswell. I asked them and they said they weren't bothered throw it all in.

Comment

One time ,all the big yards would swap your G size oxy free if you were regular bringing in steel..That used to save a lot. If you brought in much copper ,they would fill up your diesel too.,sometimes......Anyone remember the time the munsters stole copper wire from the rail ,and shut down the whole Brisbane suburban network on a Monday morning......Or Mick Munster stopped on the Gateway bridge to pick up a bit of cable on the road,and got wiped out.......Another lot got a truck caught in the railtrack stealing copper,and it was hit by a train at full speed........nothing recognozable left of the truck or the scrappies.

Comment

Even though all the scales are electronic load cell,you cant expect a scale that can weigh 40 tons to do less than 1/2 ton accurately.....Main thing is dont let them put any kind of nonferrous over the big weighbridge,losing 100kg at even $1 adds up quick.....As to waste,different states have different landfill charges.....Qld had none untill the crooks from NSW started ripping off our system..I sometimes get charged for 10x20 truck tyres,sometimes $10 each....but last lot they said they were OK,but the load was well over 10 ton.heavy,steel.....The difference is if tyres go thru the shredder,its landfill,but a whole tyre is regulated waste ,and has to go to tyre disposal.....or thats what they told me.

Comment

Working...
                  X