X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-waste specific buyer prices

E-waste to most scrap yards in my area is still an unwanted commodity, and I live in a major capital city. Those that do buy it, almost appear like they don't want to, and offer nowhere near the guide that I expect. I've been searching and talking with people recently, hoping to find somewhere that is more economic and up-to-date. The trouble with myself is that I scrap from a pure private, hobby perspective, and don't really process the volumes that most e-waste buyers prefer. In saying this I got some good information regarding items bought and prices paid for them.

Here is just a few things specific e-waste buyers are after if have them in volume:

Degaussing cable - $3.20/kg
    Ribbon cables, with connectors - $1.40/kg
    CPU fans - $0.20/kg
    Yokes - $1.60/kg
    Mixed power plugs $0.25/kg
    PMMA acrylic - $0.40/kg
    Mobile Phones - $4.00/kg

I'm sure none of this is concrete, and you can't expect everyone to pay this, or even pay anything. But it's nice to know that there is a grading and pricing system for things that we(I) don't usually sell.

Tybo, it's one of those problems we face here in Australia. We are so far behind the rest of the world mate. America is a paradise compared to us.

Having said that and looked at the prices you mention, one stands out as poor. That is degaussing cable. at $3.20. Mate, this is one of the easiest things to strip. A stanley knife straight along the middle and then peel it off. You then have No. 1 bright which is about the best you can get. There is no lacquer on it at all. The insulation weighs hardly anything, so your getting nothing for that. They must reckon it costs them $3/kg to strip it. No way I would sell degausser as is. Always strip it. Your other prices look reasonable, although I would look closely at the yokes. The copper is downgraded a bit because it has lacquer on it, but your only talking 20-50c/kg, and don't forget that the ferrite can go in you shred bin. Actually all my ferrite goes in my heavy steel bin; haven't had any comeback as yet and I've been doing it for a few years.
    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
    http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

At the moment I have over 20kg of degaussing cable sitting waiting to strip out. I'll probably leave it for months and wait until Kerbside is all over, which means I'll probably have a lot more. Thick, heavy cable is easy, but the thin stuff you get out of small and cheap TVs is a bit of a ball ache. $3.20 is better then most PVC prices, so I don't think it's that bad if you couldn't be bothered doing the small stuff. Some insulation comes off relatively easy on cable, other stuffs comes on in bits, has a tackiness to it that sticks to you fingers. This stuff can also be a nightmare.

I don't think these prices are that far off the mark. I reckon someone(probably like me), a bean counter, has worked out the economics of these prices and they're within ballpark. I plan to do my own test once I get the time. For example:

10kg of degaussing cable is $32, strip it out and it's worth $60. However how long can you expect to take to strip out 10kg of cable? 1 hour is a good rate at $28, two hours and you're down to $14, not good at all. Time is money.

Comment

Originally posted by Tybo View Post
        E-waste to most scrap yards in my area is still an unwanted commodity, and I live in a major capital city. Those that do buy it, almost appear like they don't want to, and offer nowhere near the guide that I expect. I've been searching and talking with people recently, hoping to find somewhere that is more economic and up-to-date. The trouble with myself is that I scrap from a pure private, hobby perspective, and don't really process the volumes that most e-waste buyers prefer. In saying this I got some good information regarding items bought and prices paid for them.

Here is just a few things specific e-waste buyers are after if have them in volume:

Degaussing cable - $3.20/kg
        Ribbon cables, with connectors - $1.40/kg
        CPU fans - $0.20/kg
        Yokes - $1.60/kg
        Mixed power plugs $0.25/kg
        PMMA acrylic - $0.40/kg
        Mobile Phones - $4.00/kg

I'm sure none of this is concrete, and you can't expect everyone to pay this, or even pay anything. But it's nice to know that there is a grading and pricing system for things that we(I) don't usually sell.
        Search around for ya mobile phone prices man I pay more per kg then that and I'm only a weekend hobbiest .. Otherwise just stockpile em

Comment

• WEEE Ben
          WEEE Ben commented
          Editing a comment
          I might of had them listed in my price list as $1 ea, so I probably had it confused too at that stage.
          yeah basically $1 scrap value, probably closer to $1.50 each processing them yourself but man, it would be a fiddly job, i'd rather scrap a crt.
          I've been fiddling today with some, trying to convince myself there's more to 'em, but aside from the gold plating, everything else is tiny, like microscopic.

• Tybo
          Tybo commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd imagine they would would grind them up into dust and refine them the same way they would any other ore.

Based on you stats below, each mobile would have around this:
          12g x CU, or 7c of copper
          0.08g x AU, or 5.2c of silver
          0.002g x PD, or 0.04c of palladium
          0.02g x AG, or 98c of gold

Miniscule is the word that comes to mind, just like you said, microscopic.

• WEEE Ben
          WEEE Ben commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah there's a lot easier things to get that has gold on boards, like them finger strip boards, they'd have more gold and the mlcc's are big compared to mobile boards.

Tybo, I understand all too well that a "bean counter" has costed everything out to the last cent. In my other life I was a forensic accountant (among many other things). But as a hobbyist, if we start to look at our own hourly rate, we have lost the plot. Doesn't mean that we go overboard, but generally speaking, a hobbyist does not count his time. Tybo, I can go back to accounting right now and pull three figures an hour, (I still do some) but as a retiree, this is a hobby to me. A very involved hobby I admit, but I never really count my time. It is just something I do because it keeps me active, makes me a bit of pin money, and damn it, I just love doing it. That's the thing with a hobby, if you don't like what you are doing, then you have picked the wrong hobby.

Sorry if I've got a bit carried away, but if we start costing out our time as a hobbyist, then we have lost the plot. Don't get me wrong, when I scrap something, I scrap it down to the last nut and bolt and screw. I don't waste anything that I can sell. Even all my waste plastic still sits in controlled heaps on my property until I can figure out the best way to deal with it. There has got to be money in it somewhere.

Talking of nuts and bolts, just think what a 10Lt container full of nuts, bolts, screws, springs and all those little bits that come off what you are scapping, weighs. It ain't light. Anyway mate, that is my two bobs worth, for what it is worth. Unless you are trying to become a professional, just don't get too carried away with putting a value on your own time. Cheers.
        OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

Great point Okeden, I didn't comment on the subject at first because I didn't know how to put it.
          But as a hobbyist, if we start to look at our own hourly rate, we have lost the plot
          lol, we certainly have lost the plot if we go that far with everything, may as well put a value on making bacon & eggs for breakfast,
          if we had cereal instead it would of taken 10 minutes less, and that 15 minutes I sat on the toilet, cost me ten bucks!

Most scrappers are doing it as a hobby or for part time cash flow, even a small business recycler wouldn't take into account some things we do because not everything is in prime time.
          Prime time is for picking up, evaluating and selling, downtime is for fiddling.

If I paid a scrapper to scrap then he won't be stripping degaussing cables or picking mlcc's off circuit boards, he'll be doing the things that need to be turned over quickly.
          But if we had downtime and he had nothing better to do then he'd be stripping cable.

Same with me as a scrapper, if I can be out there picking up that's my priority, scrapping is next and then in my hobby time I do those little chores or pursue semi-hobbies like refining, pulling pins from plugs and cutting gold fingers off, some people sit in front of their tv and fiddle with bits, if you enjoy it then it's not work.
          Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• DJGrecycling
            DJGrecycling commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep it's not really about the money it's about what you enjoy .. I could stay back at my day job and roll in the cash but the minds always on that next scrap score or next thing to find if you love something you will never work a day in your life because it will never feel like a hard task it's just a feeling of motivation and in the end it will be rewarding .. Maybe not always monitary but in satisfaction that you achieved something

All valid replies, everything said is humbling and true. Alas I'm just a little different, and am not pushing my thoughts onto anyone else, just airing them. Scrapping to me is a pure hobby, which I love, I love the chase and the hunt, but more I hate things going to waste, especially things that still have some value or use. Much like others, I earn very good money is my day job and scrapping would never come close to out paying it.

I have a business background, have German heritage, am over analytical and am a serial note-taker. I'm constantly learning or refining things, and this element of scrapping is one of the reasons I do it. The main reason I look at scrapping with an hourly rate involved is that one thing I am these days is extremely time-poor. I have a young family, work a minimum of 50 hours a week, certain times up to 60, 6 days a week(late last year I did a 97 hour week), I'm a member of a club and also a passionate boater and fisherman. Last years Kerbside I was doing 10 hours at work, then coming home and scrapping out for 4-5 hours. Life needs to have an element of balance, and I guess I'm so hot for scrapping these days, that if I don't put some sort of value on my time and what I'm doing, then other parts of my life will suffer. I'm a bull at a gate, all or nothing sort of guy. I never stop, my scrap money never stays in my hand, as I usual visit the tackle store, tool shop or marine warehouse on the way home. Each to their own, and this is my own.

As for losing the plot, I lost it along time ago. Come in the water's nice and warm!

Comment

Here's the figures from a 2 tonne shipment of mobile phones with no batteries sent to big daddy, Umicor.

30,000 Mobile Phones (no battery) = 2 Tonnes

CU: 360 KG @ $6 kg = $2160
            AG: 2666 g @ 65c g = $1732
            PD: 80 g @ $20 g = $1600
            AU: 620 g @ $49 g = $30000

Total from 2 tonnes = $35,500

Paid 95% of spot = -$1775

Sampling & Treatment = -$3500

Total Pay Out = $30,225
            Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• Tybo
              Tybo commented
              Editing a comment
              Fantastic statistics there, so basically a mobile phone is really only worth $1 in scrap. The other interesting fact is how much more silver in mobiles there is then gold.

• WEEE Ben
              WEEE Ben commented
              Editing a comment
              They also get about 12 more metals out of it that they don't pay for, aluminium and steel mostly but lots of obscure metals too.

• WEEE Ben
              WEEE Ben commented
              Editing a comment
              Latest mobiles would have less silver and more gold i'd imagine

hey Tybo, love your reply mate. Yes that's what scrapping is all about when it come to us part timers. You hang in there mate and don't pay too much attention to old fats like me.
            OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

Working...
            X