X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction bin/Skip hire companies

Does anyone know if these companies recycle the scrap that's put in their bins, or do they just landfill everything? I was thinking of approaching my uni and saying 'I can see you throwing all this scrap and in the bin, how about I take it away and save you the cost', but if the companies recycle that stuff and use it to subsidise their haulage fees, that probably won't fly.

Good question, it depends on the company but some do sort through everything when it's returned.
    Rubbish removalists all do it, but skip bin guys usually drive straight to the tip, believe me, there is no subsidies for a skip bin fee.
    if they get a full bin the price is the same, if they get a half empty bin it's still the same price.

So yep, you would be saving the uni money if they pay per pick-up, but i'd imagine it's a set service, no rubbish they still pay, so in that case no-one loses, you win.

My idea would be to go one step further, because the only one that benefits is you, so how about proposing something to your uni that gives the impression you have the uni's interests in mind.
    offer a rebate of sorts, 10%, 20% to be returned to the uni for something positive, like the purchase of more recycling bins around campus.
    Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• WEEE Ben
      WEEE Ben commented
      Editing a comment
      No us scrappers take stuff out of bins not put stuff in

• Mike Moore
      Mike Moore commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi WEEE Ben

Thanks for replying but sorry to say I didn't get your comment. So could you please again give me the suggestion for the skip bins.

• WEEE Ben
      WEEE Ben commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't use skip bins so I have no suggestions for you, your first post suggests you know more about skip bins then anyone here, this is a scrap metal forum, not a rubbish forum so no-one here would use skip bins, most search skip bins to find good stuff, not throw it away, perhaps contact a skip bin company and ask them.

Hmm... My university is a money-hungry beast, so I'm sure they would go for a subsidy. I could illustrate my point with the $200 worth of brass I fished out of one of their bins once (the 'fluid engineering' lab was getting a make over) - instead of throwing that money away, how about you recoup 10-20% of it, support student entrepreneurship, help the environment and so on.

If they go for it, I'll definitely be in the market for a vehicle. I like the green image and the low running costs of using a cargo bike, but I'd probably hit its limits pretty soon, particularly if for construction clean ups (they are constantly building, demolishing and refurbishing the buildings etc).

Comment

Working...
    X