X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-waste from residential pick-up's

Thought i'd put up a series of videos showing what residential e-waste pick-ups look like.

I have found that I get two kinds of residential customers, elderly people that can't remove large items to put out during hard rubbish make up about 75% of pick-ups and 25% of people who are more environmentally concerned, especially young mothers and I think it's because they are thinking about the future for their baby so want to do the right thing, afterall, e-waste is toxic waste.

Overall the best pick-ups are from young households, usually there's modern electronics, game consoles and things that sell ok.
    The oldies though can have awesome vintage electronics and the best pick-ups so far have all been from oldies that accumulated stuff over like 50 years.

It'll take 5 or 6 video's to get a real feel for what comes from residential pick-ups I think, it should give people some idea's for themselves, maybe inspire to get your own flyers printed and out there.
    Instead of trying to spread out too far, I found after a while you get a feel for which areas are into recycling, I keep hitting that area with flyers, I don't cover every house either, sometimes i'll be doing a pick up and walk just that street to drop off flyers, I get calls today from flyers I left last year so people do hold them.

Just waiting for my first video to load up in youtube and i'll post it up, i'll add more vids over time.
    Buying eWaste link here

Residential part 1..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• tvhunter
      tvhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      That power strip is an energy-saver for you TV and DVD player etc. The way it works is that the box with the LCD also has a remote control receiver in it. You plug all your entertainment gear into the power strip and then place the LCD box next to the TV. When you use the remote to turn the TV off, the LCD box detects the signal and turns everything off at the power strip. Likewise, when you use the remote to switch the TV on, it turns it all back on. That way they're not sucking up power in standby mode.

Those strips were given away by some company during the carbon tax. I don't know if they actually gave it to you or if it remained their property. They would go door-to-door, install them, photograph them in situ, and leave. I think their business model was that they got the carbon credits for the power these boards were saving, which they then sold. I guess the end of the carbon tax was probably the end of them as well.

I've put up my second video installment of residential pick up's, this one was another different scenario as i've already picked up a couple times from this place.
    This was more of a shed clean out pick-up, lot's of small bits to run a magnet over and pick out brass, copper and items of use, it's usually a job I reserve for rainy days.

Residential Part 2..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

How often would you get something large/outsize like a dishwasher or washing machine compared to the smaller items such as in this video? I'm thinking about getting into pick ups and the like when I finally finish uni and am trying to figure out what the best vehicle would be...

Comment

• WEEE Ben
        WEEE Ben commented
        Editing a comment
        The boxy type vans like mine, just a short top, holds 4.5 cubic metres of cargo, the tall ones maybe around 6 cu.
        It's enough for most pick-up's i've done, if not just do it twice, a trailer wouldn't be needed and will be more of a hassle,
        all of a sudden you have a very long vehicle squeezing through the little streets around your area and parking there is difficult,
        with a trailer you'll be going around in circles a lot trying to find a parking.

Once I was busting for a crap so I had to sit on an empty bucket in the back of the van, would of been very awkward if I was on the back of a ute

• tvhunter
        tvhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a parcel delivered yesterday, and when the courier rocked up in his long-wheelbase, high-roof Mercedes Sprinter, I was like "oooooohh...."

• WEEE Ben
        WEEE Ben commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah the boxy style Merc's & VW's are going to be the next Toyota's as far as hot property at the scrap yards.
        Just like now any old vans, especially toyota's are parted out or shipped whole to India, Pakistan and other countries.

Parts are expensive for late model vans, a basic service costs about $500, there's 9 litres of oil in a merc' engine and you need the very high end grade of oil.
        even my old van, a 10lt bottle of cheaper high end oil costs me $100 but I service it myself.
        The only thing i'd like from the new vans are the barn doors at the back, mine still has the tilt out back door, barn doors are awesome.

Was out this morning doing a pick-up and thought it would be another good variation to show.
      This time was from a cabinet makers workshop who was previously a residential client, advertising to households can lead to commercial customers.
      Old nail guns might be collectible, some newer ones still working, saws and another jack hammer. even bigger this time..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

In that last video of the pick-up from a cabinet maker, there's 2 nail guns in their box.
        I tried to operate the guns to test, wow they are powerful beasts.

Thought since they do work and might just need a service I put the pair up on ebay for $1 to see what happens.
        3 days to go and they're sitting on $300, have had builders popping over to inspect and all.
        we'll see how it ends but it just goes to show that even a basic free pick-up can be worth hundreds of dollars if you take the time to test the items you get.
        so if it ends a little higher, which it probably will it's a week wages for me, take a look at them in the video.

Another thing is it pays to make contacts with pc guys, tv guys, radio guys etc through forums etc because not only do I get to sell them bits mostly I pick their brains about everything I can think of.
        just the other day when I sold a mini tv we went through a box I just got in and there was 3 new record player needles from older models, he showed me them on ebay, $30 - $40 each, I would of tossed them out so from something very basic there's another $100
        Buying eWaste link here

Comment

On that topic, I fished a PC out of a construction bin at Uni a while back. The PC itself was just a bog-standard P4, but it had two cards in it. One is some sort of interface for automotive on-board computers (ECUs and the like) and the other is some sort of interface for control external devices from the PC. Looking them up, I saw the automotive card on Dutch eBay for 415 Euros (!)

I have no way of testing either card, so I'd have to sell 'as is and possibly broken', but even $10 is better than their $1/kg or so scrap value.

Comment

• WEEE Ben
            WEEE Ben commented
            Editing a comment
            yeah absolutely, some things take time to sell but without a constant presence online the chances of the guy who needs it finding you at that time is slim.

That's why I made them sub forums for sale items, if you list oddball cards and parts there, it will stay there forever, so if someone googles that part number, they will find your post, it may be a year later but it happens.

I've been talking to a guy in Italy about my parts, so it does work.
            another option is to list on ebay for a sale price and list here for big bucks, half of the best price you find online is a bargain if it's something you really need.
            retro pc guys have deep pockets for the right stuff.

Did another video pm residential pick-ups, only a smaller one but thought i'd add it to the thread.
          There was was interesting old multi-meters and walkie talkies..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Working...
          X