X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead & Copper seem to be on the rise

Seems like lead & copper prices are climbing compared to a few months ago when copper was down to US$2.50 lb and lead was under 80c lb.
    $2.90 lb for copper is quite a rise in the short time and lead, about 20% up.

This might be good news for scrappers and e-waste prices, most metals are at rock bottom prices and i'm hoping this rise in lead & copper will be the kick start for other PM's, like gold & silver.
    But who knows, copper & lead are industrial metals so there's probably different factors moving the prices up that won't affect PM's but we'll see.

They say to buy when no one else will and it does appear investors have shifted to other things, Gold may drop lower, maybe just to get rid of the last believers in gold, then the hawks will swoop , take the lot at very low prices and sit on it until the inevitable rise.

But e-waste wise and for us scrappers out there, we really need PM's to keep rising in order to get the best value from our scrap.
    Obviously gold, but palladium & silver is there but at current prices it's just not getting many excited like before when silver was in the mid $30's or even into the $40's,
    people we're coming from everywhere to buy silver containing e-waste like switches, keyboard mylars, crystal oscillators and mlcc's.

That shouldn't put anyone off scrapping e-waste for pm's other then gold, it's just like stacking pm's but in raw form, sure a keyboard mylar is a strange way to stack silver but if silver goes back up to a popular price, like $40's again, keyboard mylars go like hotcakes and for 35-50 toz of silver per 100 kg mylars, it's a serious stack.

For me i'm just plodding along, still following the same tedious rituals of picking off mlcc's, tantalums, oscillators, scrapping all keyboard mylars and letting them build up.
    Buying eWaste link here

Let's hope so. I've been very quiet lately in regards to scrapping, my last couple of cash-ins were dismal and many normal items I scrap hardly seemed worth it. Gold is getting better as the Aussie continues to drop, but silvers still along way off what I bought it for. I also think with the economy slowly shrinking, people not spending money, it has a knock-on effect of people not upgrading, not buying new and not throwing their stuff out. I guess this is a good thing, but not of you're a scrapper.

Comment

Just got an sms from my local scrap yard who have a special going for the next two weeks.
      Steel $140 tonne, Brass $4.75 kg, lead batteries 75c kg, electric motors 80c kg
      that's very high for brass and motors, obviously it's to drum up business and isn't the normal going prices but that might be a sign for times ahead too.
      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• WEEE Ben
        WEEE Ben commented
        Editing a comment
        Really? i'm just up the road, you should pop in when you go next time.

• tvhunter
        tvhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, when I have enough, I load up one of those flexicars and drive it down. I might bring my boards next time and stop by your place if you're still buying.
        There is a "yard" a few minutes walk from me, one of those inner city places that's run out of a warehouse, but I haven't tried them yet. Given their size they can only take some things (no electric motors, domestic ali or car batteries for example) but if their prices are decent I'll start selling what I can there to save on car rental

• WEEE Ben
        WEEE Ben commented
        Editing a comment
        No worries, yeah still buying.

Those prices have me salivating, I sure hope it does knock onto that. At $140/t I might start collecting steel smalls again, you wouldn't believe how much small steel I leave where it sits these days.

Did my first yard drop this morning in months, prices do seem to have bounced back to what they used to be. $1/kg for Domestic AL, 60c/KG for EMs, $2.20 for PVC insulate and $85/t for LG steel. I'm happy with those prices for now as long as they only go one way from here, up.

Comment

Hi I did my first ever drop yesterday here in Launceston my domestic Alum was 55c a kg while the copper wasn't to bad at $5.20 a kg for Milberry and $4.55 for burnt I was disappointed with steel though at 4c a kg this was with Simsmetal here so next time I will try someone else I am quite enjoying it though just hope the prices keep going up

Comment

• WEEE Ben
          WEEE Ben commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah sims prices are about the lowest, best to phone around a bunch of nearest scrap yards with 2 or 3 items to ask about,
          like domestic aluminium, burnt copper and steel, see what each one says and go with the highest as there should be one around with better aluminium at least since aluminium is going up a lot.

• Tybo
          Tybo commented
          Editing a comment
          I started out with SIMs years ago, and now that I'm aware, I agree with Ben that they definitely offer the lowest price. I go back to them every now and again, just to test the water, but it generally never changes. I've found they'll give you great prices on one thing, then cut you in half for your other things, or declassify them for some obscure reason. The trouble is that SIMs are almost a wholesaler, they only give good prices to bulk. I was getting 11c/kg for steel at SIMs and getting 16c/kg elsewhere. One day whilst unloading I noticed an enormous SIMs truck come and pick up the steel from the place I was getting 16c/kg from. I'll bet they weren't paying 11c/kg for it.

• Bren gun21
          Bren gun21 commented
          Editing a comment
          thankyou for the both of you have clarified what I thought, I looked up one of your yards over there Southern Scrap with there calculator online and I could have got about 40 dollars more on what I took in but that is over in Melbourne and not here they didn't even pay me for the tv boards anyway I got rid of them the copper price I was happy with though oh yeh I scrapped a Samsung rear projection this week and I had some moulded parts that when you knocked them together they sounded metallic but the magnet didn't stick any idea's

Cast Aluminium?
        Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Working...
        X