X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cat
    replied
    As we feared. I was feeling slightly positive when I went to my yard on 13th March, and prices were slightly better than at end of January, but have been dreading how they might have slipped since then. I don't have much left anyway. Tried to take down bulkier stuff -as much as I could when I went last.

Leave a comment:

• Okeden
    replied
    Gee whizz, perhaps I spoke a bit too early. Within 24 hours I received a new price list. Virtually everything reverted back to the previous prices which weren't to bad, but with some notable exceptions.

Plumbers Brass down 17.6%, extruded ally down 29%. But the big move is in steel. Heavy in size down 15%, heavy over size down 35%, light gauge down 37.7% and car bodies (incomplete) down 46.5%. So it would seem that where possible try to stockpile as best you can. Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Okeden
    started a topic COVID-19 and Scrap Prices

COVID-19 and Scrap Prices

With all the problems being caused by the Corona Virus at the moment and the economic downturn, one would expect scrap prices to take a tumble. And that's exactly what happened.

Between March 5 and March 19, in Queensland we saw a drop of between 15 and 20% in various copper prices. The worst was a 20% drop in domestic copper prices which is probably understandable, but Milberry, the best of all, dropped 15%. Things like plumbers Brass was down 5% and extruded ally down 9% as was lead. But basically not too bad considering.

Checked my emails yesterday afternoon and saw an email from my dealer. I thought this is going to be not nice.

Well I was pleasantly surprised. Everything, except Cu/Br Rads, had gone back up by about a third of what they had come down. And I guess surprisingly, steel is holding very well. But then the price of iron ore is holding fairly well around $90.

So all is not doom and gloom in the scrap business. Even if you can afford to stock pile for a little while, you may be able to keep the dollars flowing. I'm certainly stock piling at the moment, except for complete cars, because I have other income.

And my apologies for not putting up actual prices but I'm reading off my major dealer's price list rather than that of a local scrappy. So like others on this forum I guess I have to keep some things to myself. But anyway, just thought I would try and put some good news on the forum. Cheers
Working...
X