X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Throwing in Motors/Transformers with aluminium windings, I presume this is how they justify the 50c/kg
    I do this. How are you to know unless you've done some surgery and pulled some weight out of it? I think it's a fair mistake.

2. The yards I have visited seem to have a broad spectrum when it comes to lowgrade insulated wire, some decent gauge TPS with outer sheath removed is considered lowgrade. Would throwing in a few small pieces of insulated aluminium wire, insulated steel wire (i think, it's connecting wire on some circuit boards), or even coax with a central copper wire into lowgrade be considered cheating? It's only into lowgrade I have done this at this point.
    Anything ferrous I don't throw in the LGICu pile. It's too easy to check.

Any Al wire I get is so thick it goes into the dirty aluminium / irony aluminium pile as the covering is generally too hard to strip with the kiwi knife.

Comment

• DavidD
      DavidD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that. It would only be a very small percentage, ie snip off some wires from a circuit board and chuck it into the wire bin. Yes, the aluminium wire is pretty thick, nice to know how to grade it.

Scrap run 18 Sep 2020

Copper Bright/Green (tube etc) $8.05/kg
    Copper Burnt $7.55/kg
    Cu Attachment Wire $1.15/kg
    Cu LG Insulated $2.75/kg
    HMS Insize $0.18/kg (this was a gift as half was shred and he keeps forgetting to take out the weight of the drum it's in)
    Lead Batteries $0.48/kg

Comment

LoveaGoodScrap, the prices here in W.A. are slowly returning. Where did you take your boards? Is it Collins?

Comment

Yes mate - it was Collins - never dealt with them before - seemed straight up and better prices than my long time regular.

Comment

That is the only place I have found for e-waste, although I did stop looking once I found them, as they are close enough, were friendly, and also seemed about the same as others for other scrap items.

Comment

I have also rang or messaged them to get prices before, and they seem happy enough to give info.

Comment

Just started out but so far my prices have been as follows for Wollongong NSW
              Extruded ally $1.60.
              Domestic Ally $1.15
              Heavy oversize steel $0.22.
              Heavy undersize $2.50
              Crappy steel $0.10.

Comment

I have an opportunity to buy some motors at heavy steel prices. I havent seen any prices in the thread yet. Can someone enlighten me what they would be worth in NSW.

Comment

Comment

Hey Staffa - a motor is a motor - it should be a decent mark up if you can buy at an insize steel price and sell at electric motor price - WA prices are poor compared to NSW - we get 35c to 40c a kg at the moment but refer to NSW prices in this thread as prices don't usually fluctuate too greatly. Cheers

Comment

Thanks mate. Im such a newbie so please forgive my stupidity. Didnt think little motors are the same as the big ones and the monsters. Over 20 tonne there. I guess the prices must really suck in WA or im getting lucky. My scrappy is offering $0.70 for the smaller ones and $0.40 for the larger motors. Pretty good considering i am paying $0.25 for the lot. Im new to this scrappy stuff but damm im loving every bit of it. Thanks again loveagoodscrap.

Comment

All good mate - obviously more steel in a larger motor but likewise more copper - I stand corrected scrappers but if you put them all together I am yet to have a yard differentiate. I reckon you are onto a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X