X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat, those prices are disgusting. Almost sounds like they are using the COV-Id thing as an excuse to rip you off. My prices here in Qld are close to double most of what you're quoting. And light gauge I can do 3 times your quote.
    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
    http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

That's they way things are price wise in the west mate - here's my prices post from February 2020 just prior to COVID.

Copper #1 - $6.00
      Copper #2 - $5.50
      Ally - cast alloy & domestic - $70c
      Ally extruded - $1
      Brass - $3.50
      Steel insize/hard - 16c
      Steel light - 8c

PVC all down in line with copper price

Comment

LoveaGood Scrap, Agreed on pricing here in the west. Some yards will pay more for some things that they have bigger contracts for, but in general not worth driving around to all different yards. Usually take my boards to Collins in Willetton. Rang them about a month ago, and they advised to hold off for a few months. They deal with two places in Japan. Generally the other scrap they pay a bit less than the other yard, and I don't think they pay for light iron.

Comment

Okeden, A lot of yards here won't even pay for light iron, but they are happy for it to be donated.

Comment

Yeah Cat, that's my point I guess. You have yards over there who still won't pay for light gauge. That goes back to the big slump in the industry and these blokes still seem to playing it for all it's worth. Mate, I'll be honest with you and everyone else on this forum, I can currently get $175 per tonne for clean light gauge. If you can't convince the yard it's clean then you will lose $25 a tonne for waste levy. Our light gauge is all compressed into "bricks", like crushing a car. But the yard knows that our stuff is clean. We do have "dirty" light gauge, but we are very open about that and happy to take the lesser amount.

So maybe I've given away a trade secret, but all our mates out in scrap land need to understand the value of their product and not be bullied by some of the shysters calling themselves scrap metal merchants. Look at the facts here, 5 cents a kilo if you're lucky compared to 17 cents a kilo. That is a massive difference that cannot be explained IMHO. Yes sometimes a yard may have an over supply of a particular metal so they offer a bit less, and likewise when they are short they will offer you more. But that doesn't account for the discrepancy in this case. Good news is that my yard is short of everything. They're even ringing and asking when we are going to bring a load in. So I'm in the process of putting a big load together and make the best of the current great prices. Cheers.
            OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

Okeden, I love the way your yard rings you, they must depend on you for good quantities. I don't worry too much as I only have small amounts, and many of the yards around here I think are smaller family type yards. I am not sure if it is timing, but a few years ago I lived on the other side of the city, and the prices from the yard I used there were much better for aluminium, motors and brass (but nothing for light guage and smaller amounts of heavy), but too far from here to be worthwhile for my little bits. He may have dropped prices over time too though. Most scrap I collect is from verge collections, where I mainly pick up bits and pieces to sell. Scrap is just a bit of extra since I am there. Still a shock though to get $79, when I thought even being lower prices would still be around $100. Owner of the yard was telling me he would prefer to be closed for a while, but he can't do that because of the businesses that use him, although they are also quieter, so he is only using half staff, has them rotating, and doing shorter shifts (but still getting full pay). Plus side of this yard is that is only 10 minutes away, and they pay better for scrap than the yard that takes my e-waste boards.

Comment

Cat, yeah it's a nice touch. Got an email from their sales manager a week or so ago and I told them I had been stockpiling during COVID because their prices were ****. Now their prices are probably the best I've ever seen on some things. I told her I would bring a load down first week of July. Gotta understand that I run two separate business's and that means I have to be in Brisbane each month, that's a 300 km trip each way, so it would have to be a special load for me to do a special trip. Depending on fuel prices it can cost me as much as $150 round trip so I don't do it without reason. My yard stayed open all through the pandemic which some of the big boys, Sims etc, didn't. My yard is not as big as Sims but it is still a big outfit. I guess they are very low on stocks so are offering good money and trying to encourage us to bring in more stock.

By the way, what are you getting for your e-waste boards? We did sell some a long while ago but don't know who takes them here. I've got drums of them so they would be a load on their own. Would love to get rid of them. They are all low grade because I've taken anything worthwhile off them, but either get something or dump them, they're taking up space. Cheers
                OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

Okeden, That is a lot of kms you do. I do about 10km each way, and even then I plan it so I go somewhere else that way on the way home. I have only found one yard to take boards. Usually low grade from 20-30 cents, not very worthwhile. Motherboards somewhere between $3.50 - $4.

Comment

Cat. Thanks for that mate, about what I thought. Yeah a lot of K's mate but the trip is worth a grand to me before I even think of scrap. That's why I try to marry it altogether.
                    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

Went to the scrap yard on Friday with the main aim of clearing some bulk out of my storage area. I had 20+ golf clubs and a distribution board box and a stack of very small transformers and half light gauge, half 10mm+ clean steel.
                      The guy I deal with must have been in a good mood as he he said most of my transformers were just shred steel grade but he'll pay me anyway.
                      He also couldn't be bothered weighing 2 lots of steel so he have me a good price for the lot.

Bare Bright Copper $6.95 x 13kg = $90.35
                      Attachment Wire 50c x 8kg = $4.00
                      Low grade insulated Cu wire $2.00 x 14kg = $28.00
                      Electric Motors / transformers 35c x 17kg = $5.95
                      Heavy Melt Steel Insize 16c x 154kg = $24.64. There is no way I had 154kg (there was about 50kg) so I'm not sure what happened there.

Comment

He may have mean't 1x54kg, then it has been read wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by cat View Post
                        He may have mean't 1x54kg, then it has been read wrong.
                        Some type of data input error. Swings an roundabouts - it makes up for some of the data input errors that weren't in my favour. :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X