X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ha Ha, yeah Chris. Wife is talking no problems. I'm heading back out west about Australia Day, and the missus asked how long I'd be away, not that it mattered, just asking. I've got a very good and understanding missus. And yeah, I gotta get working on the GoPro Vids I took out there.
    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
    http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

• Well Fellow Scrappies, looks like I've stuffed up on the videos I took out at Quilpie. Took two 15 min vids of the metal compacting machine in operation, but nothing on the GoPro. It was almost impossible to read the screen instructions because of the glare from the sunshine, but thought I had it. Yeah, right, I didn't have it. Sorry for all you blokes expecting to see this machine in action. Will have to wait until next trip at end of the month and I will try again. Sorry mates, I'm just as p***ed off as anyone, but being a newcomer to the GoPro, I stuffed it. Guess I'll have to put up some more of the photos I took so you can see what we were doing. I'll also have to read up on the manual between now and then. Just hope my mobile will talk to my computer. Cheers.
      OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
      http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

• Hi guys. I am still relatively new to scrapping and havent dealt with copper at all yet so no idea what the different grades are worth. I was offered 200kgs of plumbing offcuts but i have no idea if its no1 copper or number 2. Also havent really seen prices for this type of copper. Would love some help from you all on the prices that you are getting. I dont want to bother with the scrap yards as i have no intention on selling it for the momemt. I want to buy up as much as i can and sell it in bulk later down the line when prices go much higher.

Comment

• LoveaGoodScrap
          LoveaGoodScrap commented
          Editing a comment
          Copper prices are very good - great time to sell - your plumbers offcuts will be Copper #2
          Bare stripped wire is commonly your Copper #1

• Did a load yesterday to same Perth yard:

Ally plain - $1.40
        Lead (batteries) - 42c
        motors - down slightly to 60c
        Copper still strong at $8 for shiny

Comment

• Okeden
          Okeden commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems like Perth is still below the rest of the country. Brisbane prices -

Domestic Ally - $1.40
          Batteries $0.55
          Motors $0.80
          Copper - Bright & Shiny (Milberry) $ 9.25
          Copper Tube - Candy - $ 9.00

So 200kg of plumbers off cuts = $1800. Great money.

Copper is today's poor man's gold. So if you want to deal in copper, you need to understand the various classifications. They will vary between states, so learn your trade, even if you are just a hobbyist. Don't get ripped off. Learn your values.

• Thanks mate. Thought plumbing offcuts was number 1 and was going to price it accordingly.

Comment

• Okeden your price of $1.40 for domestic ally is excellent. Most here barely get that for extruded. Best i ever got for domestic ally was $1.15. It had alot of rubber,glue so was ecstatic. The prices in brisbane in general seem much better than NSW.

Comment

• Okeden
            Okeden commented
            Editing a comment
            Mate, keep in mind that prices vary by the week. Dealing professionally I need to always be on top of where the prices are. If I'm a week late getting my scrap in, it can cost me hundreds of dollars. I'm in a lucky situation where I can sit on scrap if the prices drop, but not everyone can do that. All the best.

• People seem to get confused about copper grading, maybe some scrap yards take advantage of it too, not sure but..

There's 3 main grades of pure copper, sure there may be different pricing for granulated or swarf which comes from drilling residue but the 3 are..

Milberry (bare bright)
          #1 (Candy)
          #2 (Burnt)

Milberry is bright clean copper wire
          Candy is clean copper pipe, bars or chunks
          Burnt is laquered wire or pipes with green patina built up.
          Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• Okeden
            Okeden commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes Ben, I'm sure some yards will take advantage where they can.

Can I just add that Milberry is a heavier gauge wire. The wire you get from normal electrical cable such as found on white goods and general electrical appliances does not qualify as Milberry but rather it is Candy. It is also referred to as hair wire because that's what it looks like. As was explained to me, the wire is of such a fine gauge that it would vapourize in a furnace.

And keep in mind that any double insulated wire, unless it's heavy gauge, is not worth stripping to get the candy wire. When I say double insulated, i mean things like extension leads and leads from appliances. Remember that with insulated cable you are being paid for the weight of the insulation as well. As an exercise I stripped 100 metres of extension cord to see what I would get. Thankfully I did this using a stripping machine because even then it took quite a bit of time. Okay, I didn't lose be doing it, but I didn't make any extra. All I did was spend time I could have used elsewhere. I have posted my results on this exercise before.

Just remember that if you have any queries on how to deal with various scrap, then ask the question on the forum. There are plenty of members who will be too willing to help. This is exactly one of the benefits of the forum.

• Melbourne prices until 30th January..

Clean Pressing $270
          Mix Pressing $230
          HM Oversize $310
          HM Insize $370

Milberry $9.10
          Candy #1 $8.85
          Brass $5.80
          Ali Copper Rads $3.85
          PVC Wire (No Plugs) $3.20
          Electric Motors $0.80

Aluminium Wheel $1.85
          Extrusion $1.80
          Cast Ali $1.35
          Domestic Ali $1.35
          Stainless $1.45
          Dirty Ali $0.50
          Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• I got the same text today Ben - will be doing a trip before the end of Jan! Guess I should make a video of it! 😁

Comment

• Thanks okeden and ben for the insight. I guess Ali has gone up alot since i last cashed in my haul. Since i have the space i am collecting and buying up and and will only deal in bulk from here on. I think thats when i will get the absolute best prices. Also love your videos too Ben. Teaches us all so much. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X