Learning how to run a business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning how to run a business

For those of you who do this professionally, or run other small businesses, how did you go about learning how to run a business? I have some ideas for a business, though not necessarily scrap related, but feel a bit overwhelmed by it all.

I’m probably stating the obvious but if you are in Australia the best start would be here - https://www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au/

Comment

I did a quick small business course to get a rough idea but it's pretty straight forward really, you just gotta research online for something similar to what your doing
      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

TVhunter - running your own small business starts with the basics... record income, record expenses and work long hours!
        The first thing you need to have is a passion for what you are doing, otherwise you will never give the business the effort it deserves.
        I think the stats go something like - 80% of new businesses fail in the first year - and 80% of those that get through one year, fail before 10 years! So you need to have a long term dedication to your chosen field if you don't want to be in those stats. You need to love it and can't wait to get to work each day!
        There are lots of online resources to assist with all the red tape etc.. but don't get too engrossed in all the information. As long as you satisfy legal obligations... sometimes it's better just to forge ahead with what you are doing and adjust as you learn more. No one ever gets things perfect initially and there's nearly always a "better way" - but you will evolve as your business grows
        After having 2 successful 10+ year businesses, I'd suggest not trying to get too big!! Turnover in dollar terms does not always equal success..
        Cheers,
        Chris

Comment

Working...
        X