Making money on youtube as a scrapper

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making money on youtube as a scrapper

Hi Ben,

I've been watching your channel for awhile now and found this one quite interesting! I've been around scrap metal for many years and have an interest in ewaste which I get plenty of as I run a secondhand/junk business in a small town in country Victoria. I also have plenty of other interests which may work with youtube and am interested in developing this.

My partner and I have just bought a house which we are renovating and have decided to run a blog on the developments - mainly for family and friends, but the youtube clips seem to be getting a bit of interest

If you want to have a look - the channel is "Activate Nagambie"

So I'm thinking of expanding the channel to include all my scrapping themes - which kind of leans towards a zero-waste flavour as I like to recycle and repurpose stuff rather than contributing to landfill. Along these lines I also designed a worm farm and so could run some videos on that. Repurposing also covers heaps of different things I've made from old timber pallets, which people may find interesting.

I know there's quite a bit on youtube along these lines, but there's always room for quality ideas I hope!

I also have ideas on tips and tricks of making money in a secondhand business - as I've been doing this for over 10 years and have plenty to share including an honest approach to how I deal, where the good money is and how to value-add (such as electrolysis cleaning of old tools etc)

Some other things we are considering as youtube themes are table tennis coaching drills (we both represent Victoria in the veterans) - and rock'n'roll dance lessons (we hold lessons every week)... and my partner is also thinking of a keto cooking channel as we have been on a ketogenic diet for 18 months now and she's a whizz in the kitchen!

So many ideas - so little time!!

My first question would be.. should we set up different youtube accounts for some of the vastly different subjects, or is there a way to put them all under one account which would obviously help with youtube's criteria for monetizing? Not that money is that important to us - but it would be nice to reach that level!

I'd appreciate your thoughts mate - or anyone else who happens to read this and has some input.

Hi Chris,

You can have multiple channels that link up to the one google adsense account but they don't link up as far as statistics are concerned, so no, multiple channels will not speed up the basic requirements for monetisation on an individual channel.

I think you should focus on what your mostly into and stick to that until you get a subscriber base big enough to maybe want to follow you on different subjects, I think scrapping, recycling, repurposing, making money selling 2nd hand all fit into the one channel so that would be the channel i'd try and get established first year.

I watched your video on your shop, It's great but you must be using a phone camera? it's hard to watch a narrow image and not many would like that.
      Personally i'd get a cheap type of action camera like a gopro but one of the more affordable types, good quality full screen video's for under $100, it's a good investment as in future your great videos will always look like they were filmed on a crappy camera and it could cost you in the end, remember, people watch youtube on tv today, in a few years time it will be the norm.

Ok, I just watched your latest video, yay, it's full screen!
      Whew, what a big difference that makes hey? Your wife has a good clear voice with excellent word pronunciation, wish I spoke so clearly, it's easy to listen to and understand, your main viewers will come from america, they like to understand word for word so that's a plus.

You've got two great themes going on at the same time, the shop & the house renovation.

I'd do those two and have two playlists in the channel, one for each subject, maybe another playlist for making things from pallets, that would be popular too and fits into the whole thing
      People would probably subscribe as they kinda go hand in hand, but your shop has the potential for a lifetime of videos, so maybe have that as the main focus of your channel, like whenever something new comes in, do a video on it, especially if it needs a clean or repair done, a bit like scrapping something out except you get to put it back together too, these type of video's encourage audience participation, it's also good to ask questions, people on the internet like to tell you what they know, so a simple question like, does anyone know what this does, or does anyone know what this is called, people love to answer and it makes people come back to your video for updates on the conversation.

Start with creating a couple playlists on your page, then put the videos into it to make obvious you have two themes going, add new playlists when you make a video that doesn't fit.
      Think about your video titles, you want them to have searchability, so your latest video, "more than you'd expect walkthrough" could be.. "second hand shop walk through, more than you'd expect" or antique shop walk through, more than you'd expect" or whatever you want to call your type of shop.

That way when someone searches second hand shop or antique shop, or brick a brack store, whatever, you video's will show up and it will make people want to look, just saying more than you'd expect is too broad and youtube is huge, you want to narrow down your titles to more popular refferences.

This one you did.. Vintage lovers, antique buffs & junk shop treasure hunters
      That's about as good as it gets, you have 4 major search topics in one headline, bloody perfect mate, that should be how you make all your titles, on topic but powerful searchable words that once they stick into youtubes algorithm, will always be on top of search results and will get many views in a year or so.

Thanks heaps Ben, that's fantastic advice!
        I really appreciate the effort you've gone too
        I'm thinking we'll start a second channel to concentrate on the lines of reuse, repurpose & recycle - which includes marketing pre-loved stuff as well as everything from worm farms to scrapping. Basically to interest people who wish to reduce landfill, be creative with secondhand materials and even make money from dealing!

Just this morning I sold a small box of speakers - about six or seven that I had put aside last time I scrapped a couple of TVs and a radio. I know many scrappers just put them in their steel bins, but at $10 for about half a kg, that's more than twice the price of copper!! Admittedly it's easier for me to sell this type of stuff as I have a retail outlet, but sometimes thinking outside the square is profitable! I also regularly sell coffee jars full or nuts, bolts & screws for $5 a jar. Hobbists love little miscellaneous selections of hardware! So to me, scrapping a TV is much more pofitable than just the copper yoke, the degaussing cable and some boards..

I'll post a link once we get some content up.

Hi Ben and others..
          I've finally got my head around some basic video editing and have posted my first video under my recycling channel! I started with a simple pallet repurpose project, but plan to have a playlist on scrapping as things develop..
          What do you guys think - do I have potential as a youtuber? It does take a bit to get used to talking to the camera!

You've done well, once that video gets traction it should be a popular one as it looks like anyone can put that bin together with no real skills in carpentry, simple but very useful.
            A small chicken coop for two chooks might be a good one to work on for a future video.

Thanks Ben - really appreciate your input.
              Yes a chicken coop - and I'm always seeing facebook posts of people wanting to buy a rabbit hutch! So many ideas, so little time!! Haha..
              Actually, I have some ideas to re-purpose microwaves too (after removal of the transformer!)

Great vid that
                there's an awfull lot of pallets dumped in the UK as well, i built my queen size bed from 2 pallets and some fence posts, great to see some what to do with vids on YT
                Keep it up and good luck to you both

Thanks DD - appreciate your comments
                  Pallets are a great resource, but there's also many other things to dabble with as well. Especially for scrappers getting rid of stuff which has low metal value..
                  Here's a vertical herb garden I made from the base of an office chair and some wire guards from pedestal fans..

The way I see it - there's 3 ways to earn doing this type of thing..
                  1/ scrap value of internals (in this case the electric motors).
                  2/ resale value of the finished item (probably the most profitable!).
                  3/ possible income down the track from youtube "how to" tutorials.
                  ..and maybe a fourth could be actually saving the cost of dumping the items in the first place.
                  ..and (fifth) - you earn good environmental karma!

That's pretty cool as well, kind of what i would find at my local salvage yard, they buy and sell building salvage but they often make stuff from non selling items, a bit like that salvage dawgs TV program (if you get that where you are? ), inner citys peeps apparently love the look and the more industrial the better
                    i've refurbed a few lathe anglepoise lamps and made a dam good profit off them, i supply a few landscape designers and you'd be surprised what they are after, i sold a few dental lamps that ended up in a fountain in a rich blokes garden in inner London and some greengrocers scales she used as a centre for another fountain! wierd but hey if it sells.
                    Theat kind of planter wound be ideal in an inner city garden, you know a small paved one where you could move the planter to keep it in the sun although i'm not sure if that's the type of garden you have in Aus? (we get teeny weeny gardens in overpopulated London) and from what i see the sun is everywhere in aus unlike the UK lol