Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic... Ohhh The Plastic

Hey scrappers.

Any Melb scrapper, I may have found a solution of your plastic problems...

All No#7 ABS Plastic I might have a buyer for, BUT, has to be deliver to Moe (Gippsland, VIC) at $0.05 Per KG

I am just working with buyers to bring the cost up.

Moe is almost a 2 hour drive from melbourne, my van holds 4.5 cubic metres, if i load up the front seat i'd get 5 cubic metres which by weight is about 200 kg's of abs.

So for $10 payment i'd have to spend $20 in fuel and about 5 hours of time.

The trick to scrap plastic is to not create it, the biggest creator of plastic is laser printers, you can partially scrap them, just remove one cover and get the main boards, rest as scrap steel.
    keyboards are probably the only one, but the plastic is easy to dispose of in the bin, lcd monitors are another but they can be sold complete for a little more then scrap value anyway.

So yeah, if your overloaded with plastic you just need to adjust how you scrap, if I do say 40 keyboards in one week I just take a few bundles by hand on rubbish night and throw them into half empty bins in the street.

Comment

• goatrutar
      goatrutar commented
      Editing a comment
      The only way it'd work is if you had a plastic shredder to reduce the size down.

Yeah must agree that plastic is really a lost cause. At $70 a ton, it is no bargain. The cubic size of that is rather large, as Ben pointed out, and then any travel time, well it is just not worth it. Certainly #7 ABS is the most popular grade that recyclers want, but they will give you little or nothing for it. I have a mountain of it because I scrap cars, and this particular grade the most common plastic in cars.

Until the government does something in regards to recycling plastics then industry is not going to offer anymore than it has to.

Look, mate and I have played with the idea of producing fuel from plastics. There are plenty of U-Tube vids on the subject, most of them questionable. But we set up a simple still like device and actually got oil from it. That oil, just as it came out could be used in older diesel engines. Yep just like the fish and chip oil. But the cost of producing it outweighs the benefits. A better deal is using sump oil. I have used it straight, in warmer weather, and you would not know the difference. Just let it settle to get the heavier particles to drop out and away you go. 50/50 is probably a better bet because it works in winter as well. And you probably need to change your fuel filter more often.

My old Mazda 1987 B2200 has a sedimenter between the fuel tank and the filter, so it collects most of the crap. The only thing is you tend to put out a bit more smoke than normal, but only when you put the boot into it.

But, one day maybe, but right now I don't see much value in plastics, not at 7 cents/kilo.

Cheers
    Bill
    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
    http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

• Bohdan
      Bohdan commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep away from PVC if you want to try and produce fuel, and most modern plastics contain flame retardants, bad new here too, leaving you with PET as the only best bet going forward.

I looked at doing this for the heaps of plastic I come across, even spent time with a chemist going through heaps of options; all to no avail for us small timers.

The only viable option is to find someone to take it for any price, preferably pick it up for free.

I am lucky that I have 2 plastic recyclers nearby, one does PET and the other everything else but PVC.

I know your van Ben, and didnt realise how much weight you would fit in there of plastic... and wow, that is bugger all...

Ok forget I said anything... Just better to see it not goto landfill like they do down here.

Comment

Well ABS isn't that toxic I guess, there's certainly a lot worse going into landfill.
      I believe for most abs users it's easier to just make fresh abs from chemicals.

Comment

• Bohdan
        Bohdan commented
        Editing a comment
        Modern ABS contains flame retarders, which are carcinogenic, low toxicity.

Most vehicles contain large amounts ABS plastics and nylon. Just look at how firemen put these out, usually upwind or with breathing apparatus.

So what does council recycling do with its plastic? I'd imagine the majority of it is #1(PET), but I'm sure they'd sort everything and it must go somewhere. ABS seems to be the only bought scrap plastic, but from what I've heard it is very easy for yards to accumulate what they need. Ironically it always seems to be on par with steel prices.

I have access to heaps of LDPE and PP and would love to find a buyer for it. The LDPE is kind of useless, because even compressed it weighs nothing. However a cubic metre of PP has some decent weight to it.

Comment

• goatrutar
        goatrutar commented
        Editing a comment
        Talk to CDS recycling at pinkenba

• Tybo
        Tybo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Goat, I spoke to CDS and they gave me a price of $80/t for PP and $160/t for LDPE. Not too bad, considering. I think a tonne of LDPE would take up an acre of space, but the good thing about the PP is that it's all flat, so should stack nicely. Thanks again!

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X