X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A laser cutter - can you believe this stuff?

Most of your video's have playback disabled in forums.
    They are no use to this forum so will be removed.

Also flooding the forum with so many videos in one go is not kosha.
    scrapmetalforum.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
      Most of your video's have playback disabled in forums.
      They are no use to this forum so will be removed.

Also flooding the forum with so many videos in one go is not kosha.
      I'm not sure what the playback issue is. There is no difference in the settings. As you have deleted them, I can't test them myself, so I'll take your word for it.

Given how quiet this forum is, I thought you'd appreciate the content. I wasn't aware there was a limit on what can be posted. Were there complaints?

Comment

I must say I agree with Brad - why discourage any posts on the forum Mr Admin?
        It's good relevant content and as this place is so quiet, it needs all the help it can get!
        No complaints from me!

Comment

Well, firstly the videos were not viewable in the forum so basically just a bunch of links, we have never allowed that.

Secondly, the video's were all posted on the same day, that doesn't give content to the forum, if the intention was to help the forum with content, those video's would of been posted up around the same time they were posted on youtube, perhaps giving people the opportunity to view and discuss over time.

That would at least make it appear someone is helping the forum with regular posts, not coming in and posting up a dozen video links that are not viewable on the forum.
          How does that help the forum when the links appear as dead links?

I left the one video that is viewable on the forum, others can be posted if their settings are changed to allow that too.
          scrapmetalforum.com.au

Comment

Dear Administrator

I am not arguing with you decision as above. That is your call as owner of the forum.

However, we need to do something to generate a lot more discussion than we are seeing. It can go a couple of weeks, or more, without one single comment being posted. Perhaps Admin needs to have a hard look at the forum and try to come up with some ideas to get people talking. Currently I'm very restricted in my posts because as you know I am out in western Queensland scrapping. Been here almost a month and a half so far and it will run well over two months. It is a massive job, but that's what we do.

I have made a video of my mates crushing machine in operation but can't do much with it until I get home. I brought the Go Pro but left the necessary cords at home to upload and publish. Never mind I will get there. I have my computer with me but it is only now and then that I can make a post. It is now sunset out here, 6:45 EST, so we put in long days. But please Mr Admin, have a long hard think about where the forum is going. It has been a great forum but seems to have lost its vitality.

Just my thoughts..

Cheers
            Bill
            OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
            http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
              Well, firstly the videos were not viewable in the forum so basically just a bunch of links, we have never allowed that.

Secondly, the video's were all posted on the same day, that doesn't give content to the forum, if the intention was to help the forum with content, those video's would of been posted up around the same time they were posted on youtube, perhaps giving people the opportunity to view and discuss over time.

That would at least make it appear someone is helping the forum with regular posts, not coming in and posting up a dozen video links that are not viewable on the forum.
              How does that help the forum when the links appear as dead links?

I left the one video that is viewable on the forum, others can be posted if their settings are changed to allow that too.
              Thanks for your response admin, at least a discussion here will actually add some activity!
              I can't say I've noticed any dead links with the videos - but then I've usually seen the vids previously so haven't tried to click on them in the forum. If they are dead, then fair enough I guess.
              In my view, links to videos and members youtube channels are very good content to be posted... in fact, I think that's how I originally found ewaste Ben's channel which gave me the enthusiasm to start my own!!
              Perhaps a guide on how often and where to post links would be helpful?

I do agree with Bill - we all have busy lives and don't always get on here that often... and then it's rather depressing to see no additional content when we do!! Some ideas to increase discussion would be great, other than just the standard prices small-talk.
              Perhaps admin could pose a scrap related question each week? I'm sure members would gladly offer their views and who knows where the discussion may go from there?
              I'm admin on some very large facebook groups as well other forums and don't want the responsibility of another to keep alive! It's nice to just be a member and pop in from time to time - but if nothing changes in here I'll probably give this one away...
              Just some thoughts to ponder..

Comment

Videos on youtube have the option to select whether they can be viewed outside of youtube or not.
                So most of the videos posted had that option switched off aside from the last video posted.

There's no limit to posting but there is a limit to flooding with things like videos, months of uploaded videos shouldn't be posted in the same day, it's just flooding and if they are not even visible in the forum then all they are, are links.
                Links to videos works against the forum as users are redirected to youtube, if the video is playable within the forum then it keeps people within the forum and more likely to discuss the video subject.
                The reason people usually try and get people to view on youtube instead is for monetization, but the videos in question are not monetized so there's no benefit to anyone, they still get views, there's still options to view the videos on youtube and to see that channels content.

The forums been going for a long time, scrapping has a small interest and most people these days have many options like facebook, youtube etc.
                When the forum started we were pumping content everyday, there wasn't much on facebook or youtube in those days yet we could barely get 5 people at one time to actively post.
                forums like this are not very popular anymore, what makes a forum is people contributing, not one person adding random content in the hope someone will reply with added discussion.

scrapmetalforum.com.au

Comment

Thanks for the back-up guys it's appreciated but not needed. As an ex-forum admin I'm happy to comply with any requests from the admin here as it's a cow of a job if the forum is a bit rowdy.

As I said, I didn't realise I was being naughty and I can't really see the difference between watching here or on YT so I'll go back to posting here when I remember to do so.

I'll also try and sort out the embedding issue as they all work fine when embedded on Facebook. At least I think they do - I'll double check - but 70% of views are from FB.

According to YT analytics for the past 12 months I get 1.5% of my viewers from here (which is like 8 people) but those 8 people watch through to the end so I appreciate that.

Keep scrapping folks and be nice to each other as the world is too ****ty to sweat the small stuff. :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X