X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Stripping

G'day y'all.

I watched a video posted on You Tube by our Ben which dealt with a stripping machine that he had bought. This struck a cord with me because I have been looking at building or buying a suitable machine for the job. My view has always been that by stripping I have value added to my scrap.

Well I followed up on the machine Ben has and yeah, you guessed it, I bought on on Amazon. Don't think it is the same brand as Ben's, but you couldn't tell the difference looking at it. It arrived today, which was very quick delivery considering everything that is going on. It was sent from an Australian distributor.

So being in the boonies here, I raced into town, 15k, to pick up the machine from our local hardware. Delivery vehicles go no further than our little village, so everything that can't be sent via Australia Post, gets left at the hardware, Real sneaky actually. I'm sure the majority of you blokes can not go to a hardware store and resist buying something. A bloke thing? Maybe a scrappers thing, or both. Anyway, with a couple of grunts I picked up my package and headed home.

Straight to my shed to open the box. Couldn't wait. So got it set up within a minute or two and grabbed some insulated cable from my bin and gave it a try. Initial adjustment is setting the cutting blades at the right depth. But quite easy as Ben showed on his video. So I first tried some 1 mm square cable but it wouldn't grab it. Went to 1.5 mm and yep, it cut it nicely. Did a couple or so of this size and was very pleased with the results. But the 1 mm was bugging me because you get a lot of it and I wasn't to pleased with selling it at today's prices. A minor adjustment to the machine, very simple, no tools, just using your fingers to adjust the nuts/bolts that set the depth. Bingo! Put a nice slit in the insulation without tearing the wires inside. It's almost like hair wire and it does tear very easily. That was always a problem with the little stripper I had been using.

So what were the results? Being of an accounting background, costs and returns are very much in my mind when I evaluate something like this., First off I started with single cable of 1.5 mm. I put through three different pieces and the results were almost identical. Recovered wire was 63.8% of the total weight of the piece of cable. Then I decided I had to strip some 1 mm cable. You get a lot of that and can sell it as low grade insulated wire for not much money. What I found was that I was recovering 33.3% of the weight as pure copper wire. This percentage was based on stripping a piece of cable that had two cables inside a thick outer insulation cover. Much like any domestic cable or extension lead. So I figured that was a good result given the piece I used as a sample was more heaver than a normal extension cord etc. So what were the results? I'm pretty excited.

The 1.5 mm cable stripped out at 63.8%. Using my prices that gave me added value of 44% for Millberry and 15% for burnt (i.e. silver/tin coated copper wire). The same exercise with 1 mm cable showed an uplift of 46.5% for Millberry and 30.5% for burnt. You must take into consideration that the 1 mm cable I tested have a lot of insulation as compared to the 1.5 mm.

So my conclusion is that stripping insulated cable is worthwhile. But if you are going to sit there with a knife or whatever to do the stripping, then probably not a good idea. It would depend on who you value your hours. I originally thought that as an old aged pensioner my time was worth not much, so it would be worthwhile. But the more I have got involved with scrapping the less I agree with that initial idea. Of course, at the end of the day it is your choice. What I've found in just one afternoon is that by investing a few dollars in this machine, I will pay it off very quickly, because I have volume, and will continue to have value added to my scrapping work.

So after watching Ben's video, that is what I have done. Fortunately I had the funds to invest. I guess that's the difference between being a hobbyist and making beer money, and being a serious scrapper and making quite a bit more. And by the way, the market at the moment is not brilliant, but I have seen it worse. If you can, stockpile what you have. When the market comes back, you will be a winner. I'm lucky, scrapping is a big bonus for me, I don't need it to survive. I know that not many are in my position

Okay, a really long post, but I hope I've given you some ideas and knowledge into the scrapping industry. And yep, I could make a video like Ben suggests, but I spend my money on scrapping tools that make me money. Yes I know you can make money on You Tube, but I don't have a video cam to do the job at this stage. Maybe in the future. Cheers Y'all, Bill
    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
    http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Nice work Bill.

Comment

If I had the time I would try stripping my mid grade stuff like power leads etc but I get too much of it so I reserve my stripping time to the bigger stuff, also degaussing cables from crt's, because it's a wheel that does the stripping on our type of stripper, it cuts degaussing cable insulation tape without freying up the wire, I was impressed by that.

If you want to play around with video's Okeden, I can give you a gopro hero 5 or 6, can't remember which one it is, but I have 2 spare here and can send you one no worries.
      You'll just need to get a micro slim SD card, 64gb preferably, about $25 for a good one and a charger pack with battery and your all set to play
      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Hey Bill - can you tell us what model/brand you bought? I'm in the market for one and yours sounds like a good one.

Comment

Great post Bill...
          I may get a stripper one day - but the girlfriend might have something to say about that! 😁🤣🤣

Comment

Mt brand is enerpat, can buy it on ebay.
            It's almost the same as the one on amazon expect the enrpat might have a bigger wheel for manual stripping, although it's much easier using a drill.
            here's mine anyway..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• LoveaGoodScrap
              LoveaGoodScrap commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep - thanks Ben - watched your video when first posted - thanks

The brand I purchased is VEVOR, and I got that on Amazon Australia. Look at Ben's picture and that is what mine looks like, same colour different name. The handle on Ben's may be a little bigger, but I certainly had no problem turning it from 1 mm cable up to 20 mm double insulated cable. And that is without mounting it to a bench. Whilst it is Chinese, what isn't, it was in stock in Australia. I ordered on 14 April and got it yesterday, so just 7 days, and I live in the boonies. Just add a point, it says from 1.5 mm to 40 mm, but I was easily able to adjust down to strip 1 mm cable. That's important to me because I get a lot of 1 mm cable especially from whitegoods. So as I said, the recovery of Millberry from the 1 mm gave me an increase in value of 46.5%, and for Burnt, and increase of 30.5%.
            OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

• LoveaGoodScrap
              LoveaGoodScrap commented
              Editing a comment
              Great - thanks Bill

Originally posted by WEEE Ben View Post
            If you want to play around with video's Okeden, I can give you a gopro hero 5 or 6, can't remember which one it is, but I have 2 spare here and can send you one no worries.
            You'll just need to get a micro slim SD card, 64gb preferably, about $25 for a good one and a charger pack with battery and your all set to play
            Ben, If Okeden isn't interested and you wish to extend the offer this way I'd love to try a go-pro. Currently doing it with an old iPhone6 with a 2 hour battery life.

Comment

ok sure, but the battery on gopro's don't last that long in recording mode either, I have 6 charged up and usually need to swap one over in the middle of making a video unless it's at 100%.
              So you'll want at least two, one comes with the charger but you could also use a usb cable with a tiny end to connect the camera to your PC and charge direct if you preferred to get 2 batteries and not the charger.
              message me anyway
              Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Thought I would update on my wire stripper. Have a bin of about 20 kg of mixed wire, so decided I would strip the lot except for stuff less than 1 mm. Includes a lot of wiring looms from whitegoods, extension leads, computer power leads and all sorts of bits and pieces. I know I did a small test on the value of stripping wire, but thought I'd do a whole batch and see what the end result is.

So to start with I'm getting a fair bit of tinned copper, plenty of lacquered (burnt) and some Millberry. Surprised at the amount of burnt I'm getting but as with most copper products, the prices have crept up again with Millberry over $7. But at least this will give a much better idea of the value added from stripping. But it all takes time and that is something that many will want to consider. Looking at Ben's collection from one of his videos, it would take a lot of time to get through.

So to speed things up I attached my cordless drill to the machine to see how much quicker it would be. Found that I had to put it on hammer operation but that was fine, it sliced through some pretty tough outer insulation especially on extension leads. I even left it this mode for the smaller 1 mm and 1.5 mm wires. Having a variable speed works really well because I have found that the operation is much more efficient if you can feed the wire through your left hand whilst activating the drill with your right. Unless you're cack handed then do the opposite. The idea is to keep the wire straight and keep some pressure on it. This works well. But certainly wear a glove on the feeding hand. As I'm sure many of your are aware, even the finest of copper wires can give you a nice cut.

So far so good. Next step is to look at attaching an electric motor. I noticed that to buy this machine with a motor was quite expensive. Mate suggested something like a sewing machine motor with a foot control. Makes sense. You have both hands free and you have good control with the variable speed foot pedal.

And just one other thing I found is that it works better when you use the smallest size hole as possible. If you use a bigger hole, the cable slops around in the groove where it's supposed to sit and can slip out from under the cutting blade. But otherwise the machine works pretty well. Once I've put this lot of wire through I will do the sums and let you know the outcome. Once I've finished building my new shed, I'll bolt the machine to a bench permanently which will give you more stability especially if you are using the hand operated wheel. The six inch wheel is good but the machine tends to want to slide on the bench.

Okay, more later. Cheers.
                OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's

Comment

• LoveaGoodScrap
                  LoveaGoodScrap commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good stuff Bill - fixing to a bench is the go. Done some pricing on eBay and Amazon and will press the buy button soon.

Great report Bill, I'll look forward to the updates.
                I like the sewing machine motor/controller idea! 👍

Comment

I had a go at getting the value from stripping regular PC power cable, started off with 10kg's and first run took it down to 4.6kg
                  With so much left to strip I packed it in, way too much work for what was going to be little return, much better to hold onto insulated wire until prices go up and just stick to the real copper wire to strip.

Wire Stripping machine on Amazon Australia http://amzn.to/3aFvROX

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Working...
                  X