X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a 44 gallon drum of steel weigh?

Hey guys,
    My latest video explores stacking away good heavy steel smalls in 44 gallon drums. How much weight in a drum full? What's it worth? Check out the video..
    I haven't sold any for years - and its adding up to a nice little stash! Now I just need the price to head north...

Yep, spot on Chris. Making sure there are no real gaps in the drum is the secret to it. I have gone almost 1/2 a tonne on a couple of drums, but they were full of solid smalls, so they packed very well.

I've got plenty of room to store them, but prefer to off load when I have a couple of drums full. I have a free-standing gantry with a block & tackle to enable loading on my trailer.

44's are great for not only steel but also cast, domestic and extruded ally. I seem to amass quite a bit of ally. Sometimes if I have a lot of air cons, I can fill a 44 with copper pipe. Never get near 1/2 a tonne, but it is a very handy way of moving an awkward product.

And my scrappy knows all my containers because they're marked with the tare weight, whether they're drums, crates or whatever.

Cheers
    Bill
    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
    http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

Thanks for your perspective Bill - yep, 1/2 a tonne is certainly possible. I used to score a few deals with railways stuff and a 44 full of dog spikes topped out around 500kg!
      A gantry would be ideal, but I'm thinking of buying one of those trailer mount hydraulic jibs and load maybe 3 drums at a time (it's an 8x5 tandem)... then finish the trailer with aluminium or copper cylinders to make a Melbourne trip worthwhile.
      Cheers,
      Chris

Comment

If you go over the weighbridge,have a good look at the unloading yard.....and spilt shredded steel make a mess of car or ute tyres...........I used to go in in a truck,and got at least one flat a week........and thats with 8.25/16 10 ply tyres......now I just get a bin,and fill ..........last bin I got ,i managed 8 ton,but lots of dozer and excavator stuff ,very heavy.Ive found its not easy to get more than 5 ton in a Merrel bin,and never had one of the 40 foot /20 ton bins............be needing one soon tho,there are some old cranes and a dozer going to go soon..........Ill be needing a big Franna to load some of the stuff,with all the drought I dont want to oxy cutting in the yard..........and Ive had the council on to me again.........some a****hole has complained again.......same guy as before ,Im betting..............causing me a ton of grief ,thats for sure.

Comment

I've never actually driven into a scrapyard Sad Scrappy - so that's an interesting point I hadn't considered. When I used to sell scrap regularly (about 20 years ago now), I'd send around 30 tonne at a time to Melbourne with a local trucking company - and flat tyres were their problem, not mine!
          Sounds like you have some good paying loads coming up! Perhaps you'd better buy your neighbour a slab!

Comment

Chris ...they are Islami s ....dont drink.....not supposed to anyway.........i got bulk trouble with the council at the moment....some scumbag has put in a complaint....this is at home,not the yard............

Comment

Working...
            X