X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris, I get about 30 cents for plugs. That's all types of plugs, computers, white goods etc. Normal 3/2 pin plugs I pull the brass. I also look closely at insulated copper wire. Worth stripping if you can, but naturally the small wires are too much of a pain. I get quite a bit of cable from an electrician mate of mine, so I go after the Millberry. At as much as $7.50 a kilo is is well worth while.
    OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
    http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

Yeah Bill, I try to strip any cable that's larger than a normal 240V appliance lead. I purchased a little stripping block awhile back and that works pretty well.
      I'll give some of the Melbourne yards a call next week when they are back at work, and see if they take plugs. I definitely won't be pulling the brass from any - and actually still undecided if I'll even save the plugs or not. From your figures, even a 100kg drum full of plugs would only be $30 - and I'm not sure I could be bothered with that..

Comment

That's fair enough Chris. We all have to make our own decisions. But it is better that we understand the mathematics of what we do. Guess you could call me a serious hobbyist. At 72 mate, I am not looking to start up any new business enterprise. Hear what you say about plugs, but again, it depends on what you are trying to do. What do you want to do? Be a hobbyist, a serious hobbyist, a small business enterprise, or something else. It is always your choice. But as I said, it is nice to know the math about what we are considering. Once you know those numbers, it is simply your choice as to which way you go.

See Chris, from my perspective, I have more than one iron in the fire. Like, come Saturday, I am off to Brisbane (300 k each way) to do some accounting work (my real trade). I don't charge like mainstream accountants (I have very little in the way of overheads) but I offer a service to a handful of people who are mostly friends.

Mate, it is all about your own perspective. To be a full on scrappy, I believe you would need to invest some serious dollars to be able to compete in today's market. You will never beat the likes of Sims and other big boys. If I had their money, the last thing I would be doing is processing scrap.

Okay, had my soap box.

Cheers
        Bill
        OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
        http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

I totally agree Bill - it is nice to know the math! Everyone has a slightly different take on things and we can all make an informed decision if the facts and figures are presented. That's one of the things I'll be trying to do with my scrapping videos. There are plenty of people who see value where I don't - but then my situation is kind of business and I do want to get value for my time!
          There are others who don't see value, where I do.. we are all different (which is a good thing!).
          Makes perfect sense to hear you are an accountant! Clearly a numbers man when it comes to scrapping!

Oh - and I like a man who owns a soap box!

Comment

The Islami s next to me have got another extension on the application for change of use................... one of the approvals they have applied for is a metal shredder...........this will be well over two years since they got the "show cause" notice,so theyre not doing too bad...........when they get approval,everything will have to be undercover,which is half the space gone...........they must be spending zillions ...the council have required new reports and plans twice now......and I threw a spanner in the works demanding adequate drainage be restored.,,,,,,,still ,there were no objections,so they should be OK.........anyway,I might have a legal scrapyard right nextdoor............If I had an accountant he d tell me Im doing everything wrong...........but Im too old to care.

Comment

Haha - too old to care is kind of a good thing sad scrappy! Not the too old bit, but the not caring bit! With age comes wisdom and the common sense not to get too wound up over things that don't really matter!
              So... a yard right next door? Hope they pay well! (in the interests of good neighbourly relations, of course.. )
              Where abouts are you? In Melbourne?

Comment

I sick of fighting with the council .....you beat them on one thing,they hit you with something else..............latest is a VPO on the yard..............anyhoo,I ll sell out as soon as the application is settled.

Comment

Working...
                X