X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day from Wangaratta

G'day Cobbers!

I am excited to be a part of this community I am only a youngin but am eager to learn more about scrapping and recycling.

I have not been scrapping for long, only about 2 months so far, however I have forever tinkered with Electronics, Audio Systems, PC Builds, Cars and Motorbikes. Before I even decided to start scrapping, I had a heap of PC's, DVD Players, Phones, Monitors and 3 full rubbish bags of cords and cables hoarded away in the bungalow. There's 2 reasons why I've hoarded Electronics, 1: I've never had a Council Bin Service (Live on a farm), all of our rubbish was taken to the tip by us, cans/bottles get recycled, cardboard and papers get burnt during winter and recycled during summer (fire-bans) and reason 2 is I've always known even though something is broken (electronic) there is still value inside it and I just couldn't throw it away.

At present I am advertising on Facebook and Handing out fliers to get my eWaste, as I have already Scrapped all of my hoarded electronics (after selling a few things here and there).
    I am seriously considering starting an eWaste Business in my town, as there is not one eWaste Recycler where we are and you have to pay to dispose of eWaste at the tip (upwards of $10 for a TV), but I have been keeping rather busy, scrapping almost every day since I started, even on a slow day, I will further process what I have ie, plugs, gold fingers, circuit boards, copper wire ect.

So that's pretty much me, my name is Tristan, the mates call me Saffo

Welcome mate - the forum has been very quiet lately but there is plenty of great reading within the threads to help you along.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveaGoodScrap View Post
      Welcome mate - the forum has been very quiet lately but there is plenty of great reading within the threads to help you along.
      Thanks mate, I have had a bit of a browse, already learning new things. It will be good when the forum picks up and gets a bit more active.

Comment

• WEEE Ben
        WEEE Ben commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi and welcome Saffo.
        Good luck with the e-waste biz', try and get onto the local school IT technician, usually they take care of 3 or 4 schools in the region, a good source of bulk e-waste

• SaffosGarage
        SaffosGarage commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Ben, Cheers mate I definitely will try get onto them, would be a great head start.

Hi Saffo, welcome mate
      Yeah, it's pretty quiet in here - but I always check in regularly. I'm not far from you, just down the road a bit between Shepparton & Seymour... and I've started an ewaste collection here which has been very well accepted by the locals! I get stuff dropped off nearly everyday now and I've just got my test & tag licence so that I can safely resell anything that still works and has some value other than scrap

Comment

• SaffosGarage
        SaffosGarage commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Chris, Thanks for the warm welcome mate, that's great, good on you! I'm hoping business picks up a bit here, I'm going to try put a fews ads in the papers and hand out more fliers to local businesses, the household side of things has really dried up quickly the last week or so and have found myself further refining what I have accumulated.
        How do you go about selling off your eWaste? I just did a drop off today of about 30kg insulated copper wire, 11 x lead acid batteries and around 70-80kg in transformers / motors and only got $50 did I just simply set my expectations too high or is there something wrong with the amount I got paid? this was about 2 months worth of work, working 8-12 hrs a day scrapping, I have decided to keep all my raw copper, raw aluminium and other items for further recovery or should I sell those also? my intention with copper and aluminium is to form Bars/Ingots and sell for 5-6x scrap value, the problem is, I can't live on $25 a month, I am at that point of Uhm'ing and ahh'ing weather it is worth it or not, I really enjoy scrapping and I feel great about all the things I've stopped from going to landfill, but is it worth it?
        I apologize for the all the questions I feel i'm in a bit of a rut at the moment

It can be worth it but probably not when you get ripped off from whoever bought your stuff.
      transformers up to 50c kg. low grade wire $1kg, mid grade $2.40kg, batteries 80c kg
      did they give you a docket with prices? was it a scrap metal yard even?
      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• SaffosGarage
        SaffosGarage commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there Ben, Yes it was a scrap yard, I didnt however get a docket, I just got a bank check, It was only low grade wire I had, as they only take one type of insulated wire, so I keep anything Mains power and better and strip it myself, we only have 2 scrap metal recyclers in Wangaratta and one I have already told him to shove it, as I took nearly a tonne of light grade pressing steel and got $0 for it however that's another story, but next time for sure I will be asking for a docket, as he didnt even weigh the batteries, just counted them and I'm sure if I turn this into a business I will need the dockets come tax time.

Definitely be looking closely at my options SaffosGarage. I live in a little town of 500 people about 3 klm from Brisbane. Whilst I have a special working relationship with our local yard, any local could have expected around $130 or more for your scrap. If you're going to do it for a living I suggest you might have to upgrade do that you can transport your scrap to Melbourne for better prices. What you got locally I think was very poor. I know that the scrap yard also has transport costs, but that would not involve a 600k round trip as my local bloke has to make. Cheers
      OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
      http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

• SaffosGarage
        SaffosGarage commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Okeden, Thanks for the info! I definitely need to do some research to broaden my options, as I was expecting at least $100 for what I took in, I had even dropped in and called prior to my drop off and asked about prices, what they took,. and how they took it, everytime I asked about prices they always tried to dodge and weave out of giving a straight answer. So next time I go in, if I haven't found a better source, I will print out the current prices of what I'm taking in and if he can't do at least 80% of the scrap value at that time then I will be walking out before I hand anything over.

greetings
      Glad your mates call you Saffo and not Sapho :-p

How do you go about selling off your eWaste? I just did a drop off today of about 30kg insulated copper wire, 11 x lead acid batteries and around 70-80kg in transformers / motors and only got $50 did I just simply set my expectations too high or is there something wrong with the amount I got paid? this was about 2 months worth of work, working 8-12 hrs a day scrapping, I have decided to keep all my raw copper, raw aluminium and other items for further recovery or should I sell those also? my intention with copper and aluminium is to form Bars/Ingots and sell for 5-6x scrap value, the problem is, I can't live on $25 a month, I am at that point of Uhm'ing and ahh'ing weather it is worth it or not, I really enjoy scrapping and I feel great about all the things I've stopped from going to landfill, but is it worth it?
      I apologize for the all the questions I feel i'm in a bit of a rut at the moment
      Have a look in my thread on prices. At worst take 30% off that as i get paid really well (it's amazing what a box of soft drinks does to help a business relationship). Sims in Albury is 80km away so maybe have a chat to them? If you are taking a decent load that is already sorted and graded you should get dealer prices. I just tell my guy what it is and he barely checks it because he knows I've sorted it properly. A tonne of light iron will net you $80-$100 and pay your fuel bill.

I assume you are dealing with Thomos or John Turner - they'd be on-selling to someone bigger so you need to cut out all the middle men.

If you are going to Albury you may as well collect bottles and cans and visit the reverse vending machine. 10c a can is as good as 1 metre of LG insulated Cu wire.

If you want to make a living out of it then you need to watch Ben and Chris and learn to value-ad or upcycle as scrapping is the end of the chain.

I 've been getting ripped off on my scrap for the past 10 years. It's only since coming here and watching YouTube that I reckon I've done OK. Knowledge is power.

Good luck with it.

Comment

• SaffosGarage
        SaffosGarage commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Inner City Recycler, Thank you for the detailed advice, I have got some plans in mind that will give me a head start, I was initially dealing with Thomos, but got over being paid nothing, got $5 for about 200kg/s (lg ferrous) went back a few weeks later with over 500kg (lg ferrous) and got $0 I asked "where do I go to weigh up?" and was told "Nah we don't weigh that, we don't pay nothing for that ****", told him then and there I wouldn't be coming back, and this last run I did was at Turners, but I dont think John runs it anymore.
        So I believe you're right, I may have to make some calls and see about going to Albury for my drop offs.
        I have also been watching both channels over the last month or so, both have great information and very informative, however I've just got to try convert it to my standing of being at bare bone bottom, I have little to no contacts, not knowing many people in town whatsoever, that seems to be my biggest hurdle is to expand and make contacts ect.

Cheers, I appreciate you sharing your wisdom!

The simple answer Saffo is that you need to take stuff to Melbourne, or at least a bigger yard that doesn't just on-sell to a city yard!
      I checked with the Shepparton yard about 12 months back - and almost fell over at the extremely low prices! They clearly just survive on farmers and other businesses essentially donating scrap to them!
      At the time Melbourne yards were paying about 13 c/kg for light steel and the Shepp yard reckoned they were doing me a huge favour offering 3 cents!
      As for selling - I do plan to take my scrap to Melbourne, but am still in the strip & stack phase! When I need to take my van to Melbourne for work, I'll probably cash something in - or if the prices skyrocket and I need some space!
      As for the income from scrapping - that's just a long term bonus for me. I run a secondhand shop and make a good living doing that. Collecting ewaste is actually providing me with almost more stuff I can sell, than what is actually scrapped out! I'll be doing some youtube videos on stuff I bring back from the local transfer station and fix/sell soon
      Cheers,
      Chris

Comment

• SaffosGarage
        SaffosGarage commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Chris, I agree, If I don't get some half decent prices in Albury, I will definitely be doing trips to melbourne when I need room ect.
        That would be great to have a secondhand shop, at present I'm just selling on facebook locally and eBay for things that wouldn't generally sell locally.
        I will be keeping more of a close eye on things, now that I've scrapped for a few months somewhat estimate how much something is worth as scrap value, so for things that still work, I will be more vigilant and check prices for resale.
        How do you go about accessing the transfer station? as far as I'm aware in Wang It's Illegal to take anything out of bins ect.

Thanks for sharing the information!
        Cheers,
        Saffo

• Chris
        Chris commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahh, I have an "arrangement" with the guy who runs it! He lets me drop scrapped out stuff off, and then pick out whatever I want to take home!
        I keep him on-side by ebaying the odd thing that he has put aside (or selling things in my shop for him) - and going halves.
        I'm just hoping he doesn't retire, or get a different job!!

• SaffosGarage
        SaffosGarage commented
        Editing a comment
        That's great! Here's hoping it lasts, I don't think that "arrangement" would work here, hahah

If your coming to melbourne, stop at my place to sell your board etc, just around the corner is the highest paying scrap yard too so you can kill two birds with one stone
      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Originally posted by WEEE Ben View Post
        If your coming to melbourne, stop at my place to sell your board etc, just around the corner is the highest paying scrap yard too so you can kill two birds with one stone
        Sounds good mate, cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X