To Scrap or Not the Power supply units

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm only a small part time scrapper, so I usually an ecstatic if I come across a PSU or 2 to scrap out. 2 I scrapped had a massive braided copper coil about 1.5m in length, quite heavy and seemed to be off old units. I guess I just like dismantling things everything's like a present waiting to be unwrapped. Anything with copper in it is especially sought after as in saving to for a one tonne bullion melt done over X amount of weeks and months.

Comment

Without the old tv's it's pretty hard to accumulate a lot of copper these days, 1 tonne of copper wire would be nice though.

Comment

In addition to copper from TV yokes I've also started investigating the possibility of separating the copper from transistors via smelting, as soon as move in to my new house will fire up my foundry and test said theory. Will be fun project even if it doesn't bear fruit

Comment

when I did a melt of the braided wire from tv's which is tinned copper it just came out as looking like a normal copper bar.
          a couple months on and the bar has toned to brown just like any other copper bar but when I get to the bullion buyer I'll be getting it scanned to see what % of tin is in it as it'll still be there.

You just gotta get the plastic part off, pyrolysis maybe.

Comment

I'd prefer not to use incineration if that's what you mean by pyrolysis. Have been watching gold refining bids on YouTube done by a south African bloke (channel name is called Successful Engineer, very good thorough videos on entire process) who has successfully refined gold without incineration of materials. Thinking of doing something similar. But my equipment is just about to be packed for transport to new house so anything will have to wait until I'm set up again after next Monday.

Comment

Working...
            X