To anyone thinking of refining themself

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To anyone thinking of refining themself

Hi everyone, I have big concerns for the health of a few people who are messing around with escrap. Firstly I would like to address the mention of buying hydrochloric and nitric acid mixing them and throwing stuff in, If you do decide to do this I can guarantee you will end up with a toxic mess. Refining these materials requires much more than just throwing your parts into a mixture of acid. Before anyone even thinking of doing this please look up nox fumes aka the red death. Also be aware that no filter mask will filter out nitric fumes. Not to mention the cancer causing compounds that are contained in a lot of the copper pins. I suggest that if you are still considering doing this you read up on the methods and don't start until you have a full understanding. If not you might just find yourself drowning in the fluid your lungs are going to produce when breathing in these fumes. This is not to try and scare people away from doing it but a genuine warning if you don't believe me like I said look it up for yourself.

Never catch me backyard refining for the sake of a few extra dollars id rather let the pros do it ...

Comment

Hobby refiners are mostly educated on chemicals and refining practices before they start but there seems to be a growing number of people looking into backyard refining thinking it's as easy as jam and it's not easy, nor is it very profitable as to extract pm's from e-waste takes a lot of skill, a lot of it goes to waste.

But as DJG mentions, we don't need to refine anything, there's a place to sell most everything these days, $4 kg for motherboards for example, that's good money for doing nothing, why bother going to so much trouble for an extra dollar or two.

Welcome by the way, only took ya 6 months to make your first post
      Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Hey WEEE Ben, Thanks for the welcome. I have had other things on my plate and have not been on for along time. Sadly I think there is a lot, well I know there is a lot of people who jump into doing refining without anywhere close to the knowledge needed. I have been guilty of it myself, I was only lucky I got away with it and then spent many months educating myself before attempting to do anything else. I see a lot of people who think its easy and there are a couple of components that are close to being easy to do, BUT they still fall into the category of being very dangerous if not done correctly and the person does not have not only the instructions on how to but the knowledge of why things happen. Understanding the process from start to finish is crucial to success not just having step by step instructions. I see many more people are getting into the hobby and just wanted to put the heads up before someone was unlucky and got seriously hurt or even worse.

Comment

It all boils down to common sense, there's hazards in all walks of life.

Many people learn chemistry at school and play with all kinds of dangerous concoctions in class, aqua reggia is just one.
          even watching the you tube video's on refining shows people how to be safe, I think by the time you have learnt how to extract gold using aqua regia,
          you've probably been bombarded with safety tips.
          Buying eWaste link here

Comment

But common sense aint to common any more .... I'm more concerned the end of life waste chemicals are disposed of properly aswell

Comment

• WEEE Ben
              WEEE Ben commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah that's a worry isn't it? I'm about to put the call out for a Toll Refiner, one that refines for a fee or a percentage of what's recovered.

Hopefully we can find a residential refiner for the forum but before hand, they will need to demonstrate an ethical process which would include a legal method of disposal of used chem's.

aqua regia is just one of my concerns, there are many other dangers. There are a few good videos on youtube but more bad. If you understand chemistry then I would expect you to know about most of them, stannous nitrate, beryllium copper to name just 2 more. Homemade fume hoods can be worse than good if in correctly built with fumes back drafting ect or even effecting your family next door. I feel that on youtube there is enough information to get many people into problems they can't deal with, then what happens with the mess that's created, down the drain? or you could always ring a hazardous waist team $$$$ My point here is not to start an argument nor is it to scare people but to make them aware of what is being handled. My concerns are not from my fears but from the lack of information on the dangers and safety issues that surround this subject. I'm sorry but I disagree with it all boiling down to common sense, my point like I said is not to scare people but to make them aware and to advise them to research properly what they are doing if they are going to attempt extracting and refining not just watch a few youtube videos. I can promise you that watching a few online videos does not make you safe and competent in the field.

Comment

• WEEE Ben
              WEEE Ben commented
              Editing a comment
              You mention you started off making the same mistakes, can you perhaps make a post of some of the mistakes you made, we can only educate people if we have the information, let's start the education process now, or at least point new refiners to the information they should be reading.

Aqua regia is just one of the dangers surrounding the subject, there are many others. Youtube can be a great source of information but in regards to this I think it will do more harm than good. As I said understanding the process your dealing with how and why it works is key. Ok so you watched the youtube video your sure you knew what you was doing but for some reason things didn't work.........now what do you do?? tip it down the drain??? call in a hazardous waist team$$$. My point here is NOT to have a debate on the subject but to warn people of the dangers to advise people to research and fully understand what they are getting into before attempting it. I can assure you that watching a few youtube videos won't save your life or replace it. I never said it cant be done or don't do it just don't go to the gun fight with a unloaded gun.

Comment

• WEEE Ben
              WEEE Ben commented
              Editing a comment
              I even saw one refiner on you tube having a cigarette! how can you tell someone fumes are bad for them when they got a fag in their mouth?

• Bredanis
              Bredanis commented
              Editing a comment
              What you are saying here is exactly what you said two posts up. Do you actually have any examples of what you did wrong that us other home refiners should look out for. The main problem with home refining is that every one thinks that aqua regia is all there is but in most cases it is actually the worst thing you can use. I think it is just fine for people who want to try and do things like this at home. But also you must really do your research. There is so much more information on PM recovery on the rest of the internet. Try not to focus on YouTube alone.

• WEEE Ben
              WEEE Ben commented
              Editing a comment
              www.goldrefiningforum.com is probably the best place as i'd imagine anyone searching refining gold would first arrive there.
              we can't copy and paste their info' here word for word because of copyright just like any info' on the web is someone's intellectual property.

But we can slowly gather our own information in our own words and experiences, being a scrap metal forum, we cover all aspects of scrapping which includes refining so I think a forum category dedicated to refining metals is worthwhile having here.

But our main purpose would be to share info', not to be health and safety officers, just like scrapping a crt tv, there are possible hazards with residual power etc, but that's not for us to be explaining to everyone that wants to scrap a tv, due diligence, common sense, that's the responsibility of the individual.

There are many sources of information. My best advise is to first understand what is contained in the material your working with, and then research how these things will react with the treatment you will be using, also how to then deal with the waist product. There is no best way or is there only one method so I guess its each to their own. I made the mistake of adding raw material without pretreatment to aqua regia when I started, This rendered me with a mixture of multiple base metals dissolved in solution some of which make it hard to get the gold out. In my case there was steel in the feed stock that actually cemented out the gold after it was put into solution. Ben I would if I had the time educate and help more but unfortunately I don't, the information is out there and I will add what I can when I can.

Comment

• WEEE Ben
              WEEE Ben commented
              Editing a comment
              No worries mate, in time we'll gather bit's 'n pieces and eventually have a good collection of useful info' for refiners new and old.

from some reason I got a error and was told that what I had typed was unable to post so I typed it again

Comment

• WEEE Ben
              WEEE Ben commented
              Editing a comment
              sometimes we get strange glitches, shouldn't happen often though.
          Working...
          X