X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board connections gold?

Hi All
    I picked up 6 of the units in the photos.
    The 4 coax connectors on the daughter board look like they have good gold plating on them does anyone know if they really do or not?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_070407.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	953.1 KB
ID:	12980

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190613_091606.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	630.6 KB
ID:	12981

Cheers

Jarrod

Yes gold jacks, same with the little bits on the wire side, usually it's always gold on gold.
    Value wise though is quite low because there's a lot of dead weight to them, also difficult to recover because they would be processed differently to say gold pins or fingers.
    I assume reverse electroplating so I put mine aside for that purpose one day maybe.

The little gold banded crystal oscillator on that board has the highest value pound for pound, although you need a lot for a pound
    second highest value are the gold corner BGA chips on there, looks like there's 2.
    then the regular IC's & flat packs, then comes the gold jacks value wise.
    Buying eWaste link here

Comment

• WoolyMammoth256
      WoolyMammoth256 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that.

Did some research on the White Mlcc's which there are a few on the board.
      These are class 1 Mlcc's and have more PM than the light brown class 2 Mlcc's we normally find in electronics.

Jarrod

• WEEE Ben
      WEEE Ben commented
      Editing a comment
      Not necessarily, they can come in many variant colors, it's more the application they are used on, higher end electronics are more likely to have class 1 and most mlcc's are brown/grey

Hey Thanks for the post MW265, I was reading a post the other day on here about the code printed on the boards, I did some research and found that its the Silk Screen, Overlay, Legend Printing, Silkscreen Markings or Indent Layers... dose anyone have an idea about the L27 to L30 Printed on the board and what "L" means on the above post and which scrap bin some they go in? Dose anybody know anyone how would take this parts other then the MCC Bin. RG, SG

Comment

L components are inductors. not sure on what smd inductors contain but the larger ones contain copper and "iron".

Comment

Fellas, don't know but you seem to be getting a bit carried away with board components. Yes there are obvious ones such as MLCC's - Multi Layered Ceramic Capacitors - which contain Palladium and silver in various amounts, and of course Tantalum Capacitors which obviously contain Tantalum.

But even with just these two groups of items on boards there are different varieties if you wish. so you will have slightly different colours. For instance, Tantalum Capacitors come in various colours. The yellow/goldish colour ones are easy to see and are like normal MLCC's in the way they are mounted on the boards. But then you can have others that are like the ordinary little or no value capacitors, but in fact are quite valuable. They are very easy to miss. Others, like much older ones, are just like aluminum can capacitors and are easy to ignore if you don't know what you are looking for. For instance, an ordinary aluminum can capacitor is very easy to squash between your fingers, but the Tantalum Capacitor is much harder - not easy to squash. Also you need to be aware of the markings on these capacitors so that you realize that you have to test them further. These can type Tantalum Capacitors are quite valuable, and these days very rare. This is why I never ignore old, or very old, computer boards. You never know what you might find.

And just on that last note, I know that many scrappers might not be too interested in stripping out old CRT TV's. Well silly them. Of course you have the obvious copper in the yoke, and the degauser wire, but have a very careful look at the boards on the TV. I guess we are all familiar with the silver oscillators that are found on various boards. Well on the old TV boards you have a very good chance of finding oscillators that are gold plated on the bottom, and gave gold plated legs. Same goes for transistors. I'm talking of the ones with three wire legs. Now on these old boards you may find them. They are not the usual ceramic or plastic types, but rather they are a metal can with three wire legs. The base of the metal can and the legs can all be gold plated.

So Fellas, if you are going to be serious about stripping boards for PM's, then you need to research exactly what you may find. Get onto Google and do some research. There are free to use cheat-sheets available if you look for them. In particular to this article, there are cheat sheets there that give you a list of various codes printed on boards and what they mean. There are others that will give you an estimate as to how much PM is included in various components.

Maybe I'm being somewhat of a prick in not uploading these cheat sheets for you. But the reason is that if you have to go and look for them yourself, you will learn a lot more about your trade. So in a way, I'm being kind and helpful, and if you blokes are fair dinkum in what you want to do, then you might thank me down the track when you learn a lot more about PM's and computer board components.

Cheers
        Bill
        OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
        http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

• WoolyMammoth256
          Editing a comment
          As I live in Tassie I don't have any options for selling boards or many of the components.*
          So I am planning on trying to recover metals from all the components and the circuit boards themselves.
          It's going to be interesting to see what I can recover in a DIY setup.

Something went wrong there Wooly, typical bloody computers.

Mate hear what you are saying and understand full well. All I can say is, learn your trade and be bloody careful. Once you get into recovery of PM's you are dealing with some very toxic chemicals. Maybe I'm mis-reading you, but be careful my friend if you want to get into PM recovery. It can be very dangerous as well as very rewarding.
        OKEDEN SCRAP & PM's
        http://www.okedenscrapandpms.com.au

Comment

• WoolyMammoth256
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I know how dangerous the stuff can be. I'm planning on trying electroplating recovery first up.
          I dont get huge volumes of ewaste to process so I can take a bit more time and try something a little less dangerous :P
      Working...
      X