X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Wave Diathermy Machines

A while ago I picked up a couple short wave diathermy machines from a medical centre.
    the're basically used by physio therapists and direct electric pulses into an injured muscle.
    well something like that, at first I thought they were some kind of brain washing machine,
    something freaky like they used creating Frankenstein's monster.

They do have an eeriness about them, don't think I should scrap 'em, there'd be some valves, probably a huge transformer or two.
    going to give them a go on ebay and see if anyone wants 'em as they are, think these would be quite collectable.

The backs..

The're different models, the one on the right is a newer version.
    it's been updated with different switches and the handle, it's also 5 kg's heavier then the left one.

Both have identicle service labels, last time seviced was 1989 so that might suggest these were made
    mid 70's, I'd imagine medical equipment get's quite a bit of use before they stop servicing it
    and taking it out of use.

The company is still making medical equipment in Australia so maybe there's collectors of the brand too.

we'll see how they go, if they don't sell I might scrap one out.
    any guesses on what these are worth? and how much I should list them to start?
    Buying eWaste link here

$100 each? maybe more. vintage medical stuff is popular.
    scrapmetalforum.com.au

Comment

They seem like an early version of a TENS machine.

Comment

Chucked 'em up on eBay.
        wasn't sure what to list them at or even what to say about 'em but the're up so we'll see.
        I ended up going for that $100 each, figured it's as good as any start price.
        if there's a market for this kind of thing then we'll soon learn if it was too high, just right or way too low

Last edited by WEEE Ben; 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM.
        Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Doesn't look like anyone's interested in these things at all, have put 'em up for $200 the pair, then $100 the pair, then $50 the pair, twice!
          No point in going any lower, may aswell scrap e'm and see what's inside.
          Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Maybe strip the newer one first?

Comment

Just had a thought, have you tried contacting the manufacturer and see if they can point you in the right direction?

Comment

Didn't think of that, hmm.. nah I think it's gonna be too much trouble,
                they were listed four times for a total of 40 days, if they were special in any way I think someone would
                of at least made an inquiry, $25 each, I mean, people pay more for a pair of socks these days.

I had a quick look and there's only a few screws to remove the back panel.
                opened up should give us a good look inside, i'll do that in the morning.
                Buying eWaste link here

Comment

I took the back panel off earlier to see, well here it is..

As you can see there's a huge light bulb inside it's about 8 inches long, is it a valve? it's ginormous.

This is the newer machine, i'll have to open the older one too but it's probably the same with a smaller transformer.

Down the bottom there's two transformers, a very big one and one about half it's size,
                  the're both coated in a matt black finish and look mean.
                  Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Yeah not a lot of things I recognise, except I think that heat sink looking thing may be a magnetron?

And that copper coil, a bit like a still too brew moonshine, what the heck is that?

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

And this wheel, it seems to be ceramic, very strange but interesting..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Yeah does look like a magnetron..

Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Working...
                        X