X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage diathermy generator

Hi scrappers!

I had the opportunity recently to buy an old diathermy generator. I paid way too much for it, but I couldn’t resist seeing what was in this contraption. If you want to know what a diathermy generator is, then here is a Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diathermy. The type I obtained is of the short-wave variety.

I thought this forum would be interested in this device as well. In particular, I am considering what can be scrapped, and what should be sold on further. The unit is missing its treatment cables and pads, so I suspect that it cannot be sold on as a complete unit.

I have posted a photo of the generator with its back panel off. A few interesting finds:
    • Top left corner has a vacuum tube. I know these are collectible, but not sure what value it has. The tube is a pentode rectifier, made in the early 1960s. If anyone know more about vacuum tubes, then your feedback is welcome. The tube is in good condition.
    • Down at the bottom is a massive transformer. This machine must have packed some serious power. The transformer ring core is laminated steel, measuring 140x100mm. This may be a keeper – it could easily be rewound to serve as a welding or electric arc furnace transformer.
    • Top right corner has a variable capacitor. It is an intermeshed plate capacitor, similar to those used for tuning old radios. This one is rather long (about 15cm). Not sure about its sale value.
    • In the middle are horizontal plates that I assume are another capacitor. It is linked to the copper coils, which appear to be a variable inductor. Massive inductor though – plenty of good copper in that area. Not sure what the red cylinder is - maybe a resistor?
    • The wiring is thick copper throughout, and is not corroded.
    • The case has a nice retro feel to it. I could reuse that for another electronic build, maybe a power supply project I have in mind. It comes with some dials and gauges that could be used for this purpose.

Any thoughts on how I should approach this machine? Views on what to scrap, keep or sell on further?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Diathermy panel.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	12891Click image for larger version

Name:	Diathermy front 2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	969.8 KB
ID:	12894

Click image for larger version

Name:	Diathermy inside 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	12892
    Attached Files

Not sure how to sell components like that, I think i've done a couple of them before, yep here.. http://scrapforum.com.au/forum/colle...hermy-machines
    I like to keep the weird looking parts to maybe build steam punk art when I retire but i'm sure to the right person, some of those parts would be valuable.
    Buying eWaste link here

Comment

Vintage gear like this always sells for more than scrap value!
      Although it's true that it may not on ebay (mainly due to postage or pick-up expense) - I have the advantage of owning a secondhand shop and have no troubles retailing this type of stuff!

Comment

Wow thanks for the feedback guys! I appreciate the link Ben

I will definitely hold onto the diathermy generator for now. I doubt going through ebay would be a good option - I may need to see if there is an online group that has an interest in this type of electronic equipment.

The biggest problem i have is that i am located in Canberra, and this item is very heavy and bulky. So shipping costs may be a problem.

Comment

Working...
        X