what to do with plastic and waste from scrapping.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, my council does not like plastic or steel (beyond the normal houseyhuld items they take) in their recycle bins. I used to put the plastic from things like vacuum cleaners and other appliances in there, along with bits of shred steel, which I don't have the space to store. Last week, they left me a pamphlet telling me to quit it. Not sure what I'll do instead. I'm probably not going to have any time for scrapping until the end of the year, so I have a while to think on it.

Comment

• goatrutar
      goatrutar commented
      Editing a comment
      Dump it in your neighbours bin on bin night.

• WEEE Ben
      WEEE Ben commented
      Editing a comment
      go for a ride and put a bag in bins in other streets, but not in the recycle bin, they get sorted through.

• tvhunter
      tvhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I'll have to do that with plastics. I'd rather not landfill it, but I don't think there's any choice.
      As for the steel, there's an appliance place near me that seems to scrap on the side. Mainly defunct appliances, but there's other stuff in their yard too. Maybe they'll let me add my steel to their pile.

A van will fix that, there's a lot of recyclers around you, Thomastown is loaded with 'em, scrap yards, plastic recyclers, they're all there.
    I know what you mean about keeping out of landfill, it's something I like to do too.

Have you thought about scrapping vac's on the spot? I don't know why I haven't but wouldn't it make sense to do with them as we do crt's?

Comment

• tvhunter
      tvhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      You're not helping me with my van lust here, Ben :P. I'll have to go back and check the prices on autotrader and the like, they're the van equivalent of a cold shower.

More seriously though, I use those flexicar 'cars by the hour' things to get my scrap to the yard, and they've started to offer vans too - one company, GoGet, has put one *on my street* . It seems I could save my plastic with my scrap, load it all into a van when the time comes and take it all to Thomastown in one hit, metal to the scrapyard, plastic to the recyclers.

Oddly, I've never thought of scrapping vacs on the spot even though its usually just a case of undoing some screws, popping the top off and scooping out the motor and (hopefully) cord. I think I'll start though, at least once I get back to scrapping in earnest. High-end vacs like Miele and Electrolux will probably still have to come home though, as they're little plastic fortresses that I usually end up belting the crap out of with a claw hammer. Not one to do in front of the residents...

In a similar boat with PCs and other e-waste - I separate a lot of it out but I'm often left with a fair amount of plastic, from the fronts of desktop PC cases, the casings of LCD monitors and shells of laptops.

It seems a shame to stick it all in landfill but I don't have space to accumulate enough of it to make it worth my while to take it to a plastic recycler. Anyone got better ideas for what to do with these parts?
    Check out my wanted to buy thread:
    [MEL] Buying PCs / Laptops / PC Hardware / Servers / RAM / CPUs etc!!

Comment

well it all depends upon type and quality of plastic. if it could be recycled and not dangerous for environment then why not

Comment

I don't understand why people aren't taking what they need out of a crt, screwing the back back on and putting it in as black iron. The guy at the yard at sims even helped me unload a tv before i had a tipper. No questions asked!

Comment

• WEEE Ben
          WEEE Ben commented
          Editing a comment
          no it doesn't work like that, firstly hard rubbish is over until winter so if you find a tv on the street there's no council to pick it up anytime soon, so it is a mess on the street until it's picked up.

what ship are you talking about? they go to the tip, then picked out to be sent to a gov't subsidised recycler who send them for leaded glass recovery, they put the tube in a laser cutting booth to cut them in half, they clean the phosphor off and send lead glass one way, recyclable glass the other.
          most is done by hand.

• opygmy
          opygmy commented
          Editing a comment
          Your hard rubbish pick up is different to us easterners in the Greater City of Dandenong.
          We had your method about 10 years ago but the streets were a mess for a long time.
          Now every week is hard rubbish.
          Every household is entitled to one pick up/financial year and the private company Waste Management have compactor trucks working 5 days a week, every week to keep up.
          Tv's matresses fridges used to be seperately picked up , but now are all lumped together.
          The recycling u talk about is for appearances and is largely a council rort.

• WEEE Ben
          WEEE Ben commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the same but they don't allow us to put it out on the nature strip, so I can't pick anything up because it's private property.
          but a lot are still the once a year thing, much better like that.

Originally posted by TheBabadook View Post
        What do melb people do with their plasic from scrapping TVs, Vacs, etc?
        can it be put in the recycle wheely bin?
        can it be sold or given to recycle centers?

Also, whats the best way of going to the tip? sounds like an odd question but ive never done it.
        are some places cheaper than others?
        can ratepayers/renters go for free?

thanks
        Hello, in melbourne there is a company Highett Metal where you can sell your old scarp like Aluminum, Copper, Brass and Stainless Steel And Any Metal even Aluminium Can and get cash against them or even you can sell him your junk car as well if you have.
        Looking for a scrap metal dealer and metal recyclers in Melbourne, Victoria. Highett Metal is a leading scrap metal suppliers and we buy car scrap, aluminium scrap and other scrap metals for cash.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X